Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling sucker punched yet again

A couple of days ago, after talking about the family he grew up with, my DH told me I was “like family” which gave me pause. And because I have a very hard time ignoring the off-the-wall stuff he says sometimes, I asked him if he recognizes me as his wife, to which he replied, “It’s complicated. I was married before.”

No. He wasn’t. There was no previous wife—we were married back when we were young in 1975 and have been married ever since. I’m the mother of his children. My heart broke. Again.

I know I’m supposed to just go with the flow, but I just can’t seem to manage it. How do you do it, those of you who have experienced this sort of thing? When I explained it to him, he understood (then) but I wonder if he does now, or if he thinks I’m some crazy old broad who lives in the house with him.

I hate this.

Comments

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I awake each morning wondering if my wife after 50 years (1973)will know who I am. You're right, I hate this! One day at a time...sorry I couldn't be more help.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I never ask. So far my spouse knows who I am, but I don't know if he knows my name or that we're married. I know he gets other relationship labels wrong and I honestly don't want to hear it, so I don't ask.

• TyroneSlothrop
    TyroneSlothrop Member Posts: 51
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

HangingIn,

I know what you mean: it hurts especially the first time, and that pain fades with repetition, even if it continues. But I don’t think there’s some new, enduring understanding of who you are to him. My DW’s brain creates new personalities, which are ephemeral, fading in minutes, not capable of learning anything new.

hang in!

Tyrone

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This is very hard. When my HWD/Alz started losing details of our relationship I would gently remind him of dates, places we lived and worked and he would recall it briefly but the next day he would no longer remember . Now I just go along with whatever stories he tells. At a recent doctor appointment he told the nurse I was his girlfriend .

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

Maybe you could put together a small photo album for him. You could include labeled pictures giving names and relationships. You could even include pictures of where you live. Just present it as an “I love you” gift.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Many of us have experienced this, and yes, it hurts a lot. I have found that pictures don't really help, unfortunately--she cannot identify who's who, and labels don't register either. So we just muddle along. She knows I'm someone she loves and wants to be with, and that's about it.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You are his memory now. Hold on tight. We’re here for you to lean on.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My dh forgot our kids first, he always bragged on them before. He doesn’t always know who I am or what our relationship is. At first it hurts a lot, even though we know it can happen, but it does break your heart. Now he just knows I am the person he can and does depend on, the one that is always with him. He tells me often that he loves me! That is enough for me! I’m so sorry that this is happening to you, I know the pain you are feeling. Hang in there, you can do this!!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited February 27

I think my wife always knew who I was, except possibly not understanding that I was her husband during a UTI. But I wonder if it might help when you enter a room where he is, and you said "Hello _____, here's your beautiful wife, ______." That might possibly help when the forgetting of relationships is beginning. Might be worth a try.

• HangingIn
    HangingIn Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. I know this is the disease and not really him, but yes, it hurts. The other day I did say something like "Here I am, the gal of your dreams!" and he (and I) laughed. I'll figure out how to deal, I guess. What other choice do I have?

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

This is a hard one for me also. The closer the subject is to our heart, the more it hurts when there is a breakdown. I've come to know that is why this journey is referred to as the long goodbye. That said, I am reminded often that I am blessed to still share time together with my DW. Even as I watch the disease take its course. I am grateful for whatever time we have left. And because DW asked Jesus to be her Savior and Lord years ago, I know that some day she will be free of disease and be whole. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tom

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

It is heartbreaking the first time, but I agree as it goes on, it hurts less and less. My DH told his doctor that I was his secretary. He asks me every evening … when did you get here? Or …. how do you like it here now that you’ve been here a few days? Or … did my brother send you up here to take care of me? Or … I’m so glad you came back. I used to try to explain our life of 37 yrs together, but it embarrassed him. I just go with the flow or change the subject. And there are times he knows exactly who I am … so I enjoy those moments.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I started a similar thread, <https://alzconnected.org/discussion/68345/where-did-my-husband-go>. It is definitely painful and hard to deal with.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more