Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Homeowners insurance

deannaberg
deannaberg Member Posts: 2
First Comment
Hi there! I've attended a few in-person support groups, but just learned about the online forum. So happy to join this community!

My LO (mother) recently had her drivers license revoked and is worried / fixated that her homeowners insurance will go up if the carrier finds out about her diagnosis. (It's bundled with her car insurance, which I'm about to cancel once her car is transferred.)

1. Are we required / should we report her diagnosis and adjust homeowners coverage in any way?

2. If we don't report and they somehow find out, will rates automatically increase or impact potential claims later?

Thank you so much!
db

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Db, this is only a guess. I don't think you have to let them know about her diagnosis. You can just tell them she isn't driving anymore, and decided to give up her driver's license for a state I.D. It's just a personal choice for her. But I am not a lawyer, and I am not in the insurance business. So take what I say with a grain of salt. You will surely get other opinions.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you need it.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Her premiums will in fact go up if you don't reinsure the car.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 27

The homeowner premiums will go up because she gets a discount for having multiple policies with them. Probably 8-10%. But on the other hand, she won’t be paying the car insurance so her total cost will be less than what she is paying now. You do not need to tell them her diagnosis- just that she doesn’t own the car anymore and won’t be driving. If for some reason they need a DL/ID number for the homeowners policy, just give them the state ID number when you get it.

• deannaberg
    deannaberg Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thanks for these insights! We actually plan to keep the car to get her to places she needs to be because I drive a 2-seater that is too hard for her to get in and out of!

The current plan is to register and insure her car through me without any details to the current carrier. She understands the increased costs of unbundling her coverage and is willing to pay, but we weren't clear on the homeowners increasing specifically because of the diagnosis. Since she is currently not at risk of driving on her own (too afraid of fast cars and getting lost) and willing to cover costs to keep her vehicle, I feel like this approach will help her transition through so many losses to her independence and dignity.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'd talk to the insurance agent about the options and how much each one would cost.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more