Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What do we talk about?

Does anyone run out of things to talk about with your loved one? I can’t discuss things that need decisions, or things that might upset him. I can’t discuss my work, he doesn’t follow it or it upsets him. He doesn’t leave the house much, so he doesn’t have much to add.

It makes me sad, and I miss who he used to be. We both work ( he worked) in health care and we had great conversations, we understood each others roles, the worlds we lived in professionally.

I sometimes have a hard time not just sitting down to cry. I try, I smile, I repeat answers like it’s the first time I have said it. I explain to him how I explain to my grand sons. The happy times are few and far between.

our daughter gave us a “ subscription” sent. He gets a question a week about his life, I type his responses and it will be entered in a book. That gives us some conversation as he has to often think back to childhood. That is good for one evening a week.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I used to ask my mom what things were like when she was a child with her parents. She could talk about that for a long time

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Katie, we have the same conversations over and over and over. I hate to tell you but it only gets worse. I try to save funny or interesting human interest/animal interest stories from the news to show her, but they are few and far between.

FWIW my daughter gave me the Storyworth subscription during the pandemic and I loved doing it, the books turned out great and both my kids have a copy. But i can't imagine that a PWD could do it very effectively. I'm glad it's something the two of you can collaborate on.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

When I got stuck for something to talk about, I'd start talking about the White Sox. She could no longer follow a game, or even get excited by a "play of the month", but she knew she should pull for the White Sox.

Try bringing up anything from years ago that they might remember. Things from high school, the parade most people would remember, etc.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I talk about the weather and whatever is in sight, especially birds. I also listen to his repeated stories that I can't really understand. On the other hand, it is true that I'm only trying to fill up about 4 hours a week, not hours of each day, which was very difficult for me.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh yeah. Miss the conversations we used to have so dang much.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Katie, my dh and I have the same, I really can’t call it conversation because he can barely get a few words out correctly, but it’s the same over and over. I can answer the same question a hundred times a day. Sometimes I will bring up things I know about when he was a (after 54 years) there’s not much I don’t know about him, but sadly he has no memory of anything.

As M1 said it only gets worse. That’s why it’s so important for you to stay in touch with friends or coworkers, you can at least have a good conversation and not lose your mind!! Best of luck to you!

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I really miss the conversations. I’ve noticed recently we even laugh less. And we laughed all the time. I’m careful what I bring up or what I say. What I think will not create any sort of problem, does. All problems or solutions are mine to solve alone. Animal videos on YouTube are the one thing we can really enjoy. I do notice that his enjoyment over anything is decreasing. He’s even forgetting more about his past. I can get him to talk about his time in the navy and ask him questions about the ship he was on. It’s just sad.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I end up not talking much at all, which, I think, DW interprets as my not being here. (That's a separate thread.) DW has essentially no short-term memory, and her longer term memory is sketchy at best. It's pointless or painful to have conversations about current events, because she doesn't remember any of the context, so I have to start at the beginning. Try discussing what's happening in Gaza without reviewing 75+ years of history. As a result, my only adult conversations are on online discussion groups and the rare times when I'm with people other than, or in addition to, DW.

Even events in our personal past end up being a history review. We watch "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS, but DW doesn't remember our trip to Yorkshire years ago where we actually stayed in Thirsk (Darrowby) and saw Alf Wight's (Herriot's) surgery.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more