Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Almost Lost it This AM

So sometime during the night LO got up to use bathroom. This morning I go to his room to get him ready for his shower. Walk in the bathroom and it is wet. I thought maybe an accident. Then I hear the water running in one of the sinks; it had been on for who knows how long. The entire bathroom was flooded! I just stood there wanting to scream, instead I counted to 10 and asked him what happened. Of course, he had no idea and I just left it at that. I think he noticed my tone of voice was "different" and like a scared little boy who had done something wrong went and sat on his bed while I dealt with the flood. I felt horrible for being angry and so sad for him. Then I looked at the bright side, at least it was clean water.

Thanks for letting me vent. xo

Comments

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I can identify with your frustration. What little control we may have over the events of life seems to slip away as we care for our loved ones with dementia. Its good, I think, that you were able to see a "bright side" in this event. Thanks for sharing. You brought a smile to my face as I read your post.

Tom

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I call your behavior a total win. I'm sure there are very few of us who could handle that without a couple of x-rated words slipping out. Sad that they can understand your emotion even though you (I'm sure) hid it pretty well. Glad that you had the perspective to see that the damage wasn't permanent or lasting.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry Carol. You may have to turn the water off under the sinks and at the toilet. That's getting pretty drastic. Home damage so many times has to do with water......

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sorry you had to deal with that, but it sounds like you handled it as well as you could have. M1 has some excellent suggestions about turning the water off. Water can cause some major damage.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Thanks all for the words of support and suggestions. Since this was the first time he has done that, I will wait on turning off the water in the sinks. The toilet one is a good idea as when I was done dealing with the floor, I noticed he had thrown diaper in the toilet! Thank goodness he did not flush it. Some of you may remember that a while back he clogged the toilet by flushing a hand towel down the toilet which turned into an expensive plumber visit. xo

• Katielu
    Katielu Member Posts: 86
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Wow, didn’t think of the flushing of objects down the toilet. More things to come.

Sounds like you handled it like a rock star!

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Bless your heart for “almost” losing it! It is just so hard to remain calm and understanding in those situations. Just what we need - even more extra work! 😁

One thing I’ve learned to do - whether I “almost” lose it or “definitely” lose it - is to give myself a break. What we do is not easy, but we’re doing it! If we’re not perfect at it every once in awhile, that’s ok. Our LO will forget our reaction and we should too. Just carry on and try to do better - my motto.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Caro lynne sounds like you did well. I have had a few of these experiences, not the water but others. Have seen others on here talk about not shutting the water off issue.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

If it had not been water flooding the floor, I think I would have definitely lost it LOL. You're right even if I had lost it, he would have forgotten about it by the time he hit the shower. For my own well being, and his, I try to stay calm and breath. xo

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 28

Glad it was not worse, and yes you did great! Boy have I been there, and done that. Ruined tiles and underfloor boards buckled in the bathroom AND in the kitchen. If you decide not to turn the sink off underneath each time, you may want to at least disappear the stopper. That way it will waste water but not overflow and flood.

I barely kept DH from totally scalding himself the last time he turned on the hot water and the kitchen stopper was stuck. Instead of turning the water off, he just watched it go. Then once full, it was too hot to reach in and unplug the stopper. Luckily I avoided another kitchen flood but had to pry the stopper out with tongs & was not easy. All the while, DH was standing back quietly knowing he'd done something that wasn't too good But didn't know how to fix it.. I was just glad it didn't cause us to have to redo the kitchen floor AGAIN. (That was originally a Bubbles, Bubbles, Toil and Troubles post due to dishwasher overflow. Don't ask).

You are wise to look on the brightside.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh how I understand! Our “flood” was in the kitchen. Leading to a complete floor replacement! The kitchen is now in a mess as the floor is being ripped out to prepare for a vinyl replacement! My DH was humiliated. I have tried to make it a no big deal kind of thing. But it is a big deal. Very costly when we don’t have it. So I take a deep breath, smile, and know this, too, shall pass.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more