Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Constantly crying

Hi I’m new to this group and also new to being a caregiver to my wife who has been diagnosed with YOAD. She seems to just start crying. This happens a few times a day. I will take her in my arms to comfort her. When I ask her why she is crying, every time she says she doesn’t know. I want to be there for her but feel so lost in what to do.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. She may have what is called pseudobulbar affect (you can Google it), which is unregulated laughing or crying that is due to the brain damage in the parts of the brain that regulate emotion. Definitely ask her doctor about it. There is a medication called Nudexta that might help.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 29

Mom was crying all day a few years ago, and she couldn’t really explain why. When you ask the doctor about M1’s suggestion, also ask if medication for anxiety and depression would help. It will take sone time to work, and more than one combination might have to be tried.

Anxiety and depression can make the dementia symptoms seem worse. So there’s a benefit in asking the doctor to help.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW cried all of the time, mostly in the mornings but she cried every single day for years so you are not alone.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more