Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

rolling my eyes, talking to myself

l7pla1w2
l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

When DW repeats herself; or says "Maybe you told me this, but I can't remember"; or says "Sorry to interrupt"; or "Did you know?"; or "Do you remember?", I say to myself, "Yes", or, "Oh please, not again!", and I roll my eyes when DW isn't looking. It's a minor way to vent without getting angry with her.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

As long as you say it to yourself, you're in pretty good shape compared to what it would be if you said it to her. A lot of members have screamed in the shower, not to be heard. Yes it's hard, but we learn how to handle many things.

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I know that it is frustrating. Patience has never been my strong suit either, but I am getting better. I can now answer the same question for the 4th or 5th time with a smile on my face and not give it much thought. I find my worse struggles come when things have to happen a certain way. Like when to take meds, what meds to take, when we have to leave to meet an appointment and similar things.

Just keep reminding yourself that it is not her that frustrates you, it is the disease.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

i find that’s the key, never argue, question or tell them “They did it!”

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I'm an eye roller from way back! My wife seldom expects it any longer. I use to do it behind her back, kinda...just enough for her to catch me. I miss those days. Every blue moon I can still do it and she'll give me that evil eye. Makes us laugh.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more