Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Respite

DCCEPEK
DCCEPEK Member Posts: 94
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

So my MIL is going to spend the next 5 day in mc so we can rest. I honestly don't think she'll make it. She's so withdrawn not sure she'll know she's in a different place but it's gotta happen.

Thankful hospice could help with this much needed respite. We need to rest our backs.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hopefully she'll transition very well. If she does, depending on how the two of you feel, you might want to make it a permanent placement. You wouldn't be the first ones to do this. I'm sorry it's so hard, but glad hospice is onboard.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

What did you tell her to get her to cooperate?

• DCCEPEK

She didn't know what was going on. She's not a rider so the only issue was the ride to the facility. We'll pick her up on Saturday well rested. Mentally not sure bout that as we both are wondering what she's doing

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

When MILwAD did respite through hospice, the hospice nurse provided a daily update. Not sure if she was just trying to help us relax but she made it sound like MIL was quite comfortable and enjoying her time at the NH. She was extremely upset when the driver (and eventually ambulance) arrived to pick her up. Once home she was fine and the break allowed me to take kids out of town for a relaxing trip and gave FIL a break as well.

• DCCEPEK

Thankfully we were able to take her and avoid an ambulance ride. That might have been alarming to her but who knows. We're enjoying a rest and she's comfortable

• DCCEPEK

Well that was a nice rest for us kudos to our hospice team. Unfortunately not long after arriving back home she had some sorta stroke..no mobility no eating no talking no eating only responds to a touch. No meds since coming home because she can't swallow but seems to be resting. This is totally bewildering to endure how much more can a body take her, ours. Jesus take the wheel

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm sorry for the downturn. It sounded like it might have been a successful option for you. If there is anything good about this it is that hospice will keep her comfortable. I'm sorry you now have this to deal with.

• DCCEPEK

It's crazy to me that people have to suffer to the extreme resulting in strangulation or pneumonia. But it is terminal illness and we understand. I pray that your LO never has to through stage 7 abcf&e.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I hope she has a quick and painless death.

• DCCEPEK

@midge333 thanks for standing in agreement with me. She shouldn't be suffering like this. Just breathing shallow but strong as an ox

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more