Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Picked her up for the afternoon

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When I walked in she wasn't in the common areas like normal so I checked her room. She was lying in bed but not asleep. When I walked in she was so happy to see me she started crying. We hugged and kissed and then I took her out of MC for the afternoon. She was so happy to be with me. We got hamburgers and a chocolate shake and took them home. We sat there together watching her favorite songs on YouTube all afternoon. I loved sitting there with her with my arm around her while she enjoyed the music. It was a great afternoon but eventually I had to take her back to MC and it's heartbreaking but I'm so glad to have had a great afternoon with her.

Comments

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

It sounds like you and your wife had a lovely date! You finally get to be her husband and enjoy being with her. Even in the depths of this illness beautiful memories can be made.

After seeing DH every day for 14 days straight, I finally physically hit the wall Friday night and felt ill. Stayed home Saturday and didn't go in until noon today. He was eating, and after lunch we sat outside in the sun in the AL courtyard and held hands. It was so nice to get to just be his wife and not be in the caretaker/advocate role I've been in entirely too much lately. It's the little things like this that remind me that we we still love each other even if the ways we express it are different now.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm glad that worked out so well for you. Just wondering if bringing her home led to problems when it was time to go back? I know a lot of people wouldn't take that chance. It sounds like it was well worth it for you though

• ghphotog
    edited March 4

Don't know Ed, just felt right. When it was time to take her back she asked several times where we were going and I just "left at the light. . . " and that sufficed I guess. She didn't know where we were when we arrived back at the MC at 5P. They were just starting dinner so I walked her to the dining room to where she sits with her friends and the staff took over from there with distractions but before she sat down I made sure she gave me a kiss. Then I left. She'll still be crying, looking for me, but she wasn't much different at home with me. It still breaks my heart though.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So glad you got to enjoy time with your wife. It really sounds like you both had a nice time.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

What a lovely afternoon. Thank you for sharing ❤️

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

This is so good to hear. It's giving me hope for our life after placement.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

So glad for your nice day without the constant stress of caretaking. A good break for both of you. Have peace tonight for a day we'll spent. Kathy

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm stunned you were able to take her home and return her to MC without protest. Would never happen here.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@ghphotog So glad you shared a nice afternoon in your home together

• ghphotog

Had she known where we were going she would have protested but when we arrived she didn't recognize the place so we walked in together and the staff took it from there.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I take my spouse out every week for lunch, but I've never brought him to the house. I don't think that would end well--but I'm super glad you were able to do so and have a nice quiet "normal" afternoon.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more