Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Not even sure I should post this, even though it's on topic.

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I was having breakfast at a restaurant this morning, when I received a scholarship essay my granddaughter wrote. I was eating, with tears running down my cheeks. After all, it's about my granddaughter and my wife.

"The key that unlocks doors, education is the most valuable asset one can have in life. Education brings opportunity, opportunity brings experience, and experience brings wisdom. Wisdom is passed down to younger generations and the knowledge gained is something that can never be taken away. It should be shared freely for the good of individuals, communities and our nation. I am pursuing a Bachelor’s degree, then a Master’s degree in nursing. Ultimately I aim to make a career in hospital administration. There I can educate people and establish unique policies that promote the utmost respect, kindness and care for patients suffering from dementia; people just like my grandmother. Ideally this would flow not only into other healthcare facilities, but also into local businesses and residents, to create a dementia-friendly community for all. I am determined to make a positive impact on this world and I can't wait to get started!

The person who has been the most influential in my life is my maternal grandma, Carole. The mother of 9 children, she was everybody’s mom and grandma. Inviting neighbors, friends and even strangers into her home, she made sure everyone was comfortable and well fed. Always setting two extra plates on the table for whoever happened to stop by, she cooked family dinner nearly every evening for 60 years.

Despite being an excellent student, my grandmother had to drop out of high school due to financial hardship. Determined to not let it hold her down, Grandma earned her GED instead. She went on to attend Indiana University where she earned her Bachelor’s degree in nursing and, of course, she graduated at the top of her class, all while raising 9 children!  

My grandmother was a leader in her field and became a Director of Nursing in a residential elder-care facility. She went to great lengths to ensure her own patients with dementia were properly attended to and accepted, no matter where they were in their dementia journeys. She inspired me to make a difference for people from all walks of life and nursing is the best way I can do that.  

When the pandemic hit, my eighty year old grandmother, who had been retired for many years and who also happened to have dementia, told me she was getting her uniform so she could volunteer to help the world and spread some hope. It's not surprising because that was her nature, to sacrifice herself in order to help others. Her legacy of kindness and giving through nursing is my inspiration. She wore a locket that said, "Always be a little kinder than necessary," and she passed her wisdom down to me. I hope I am half the woman my grandmother was."

Comments

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Wow Ed, what a beautiful tribute to your DW. Gave me goosebumps reading it. Thanks for sharing xo

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited March 4

Amazing, Ed. Your wife sounds incredible and what a lovely legacy for your granddaughter. I'm sure her essay will be well-received by the admissions committee.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Ed, thank you for sharing this. I know you are so proud of your granddaughter. What a beautiful essay and tribute to both you and your wife.

It also makes you focus on the impact this horrible disease has on everyone who has a loved one with it.

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

What a gem of a grandchild! And such a loving tribute to your dear wife!

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Always be a little kinder than necessary…that is special! Thanks for sharing this. It made my day! And today, I will strive to be a little kinder than necessary. Please tell your granddaughter how truly special we think she is. ❤️

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Thanks for posting. Like the rest it touched my heart...gives me a little hope for the world. Thank you.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you for sharing! Kudos to you and your wife! Such a lovely tribute.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

glad you posted this...

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Ed, thanks for posting this. Clearly your DW was a role model for your granddaughter. You should be very proud of her. I wish her the very best in her studies and future career. If the path she envisions in the essay comes to fruition, she will leave very big footprints for those who follow to walk in.

Tom

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for posting and God Bless ❤️

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed I also want to Thank You for sharing this. It’s always encouraging to met a kind person.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Ed, thank you so much for sharing this. What a wonderful and special tribute to your dear wife. What a wonderful granddaughter you have.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
  • WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

I think it is very much on topic! Thank you for posting. It reminds all of us that our dear ones struck with this cruel disease are more than the disease.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I guess we shouldn't expect anything less from the people here. What a great group!

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Mr Ed thank you so much for sharing. What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful wife. A special granddaughter and I hope her dreams come true!

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Ed, this is wonderful! We all want to know we’ve had some sort of positive impact on the lives around us. Your granddaughter is her legacy. This is so inspiring! Thank you for sharing it with us!

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

It seemed so strange that I would come to this site this morning. In June of 2017 I lost my wife after 11-year battle with Alzheimer's. Last May I lost my only daughter to cancer.

For a long time I stayed on this site to try to add support to those who need it, but it got to be so depressing for me I just stopped.

For some reason I decided to get on this site this morning and I saw your post. I am glad that you shared it with us. It’s a tribute not only to your wife, but to the legacy that she passed on to your granddaughter. To the love that you and your wife passed on to your granddaughter. I pray that everything that she wants in life and every achievement she wants to accomplish will happen for her. God's blessings to you Ed.

Richard

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

How beautiful a tribute to your lovely Carole! I hope all your granddaughter’s dreams come true (and a little scholarship money thrown in to sweeten the pot!). You must be so proud.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Wow! What a beautiful essay and tribute to your wife. She, indeed, has quite a legacy. Your granddaughter is very impressive. I do believe she will carry on to meet the goals she has set.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Our world needs more people like your granddaughter and your wife. Absolutely lovely.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more