Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I think I need a new script...

mrahope
mrahope Member Posts: 527
Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

As background, my DH and I traveled a great deal over our many years as a couple, often visiting his family who live halfway around the world from us. In the last few months, he seems fixated on travel. He keeps saying he wants to do it "before he dies" or "Don't you have a 'bucket list' of things you want to do before you die?". I've been unfortunately caught in the cross hairs of his rage about this issue. He's really angry at me because he keeps saying he's going to go without me because I told him I think him making a trip at this point is unwise. My DS says I should go along with it and possibly say things like, "Sure, let's plan this". I think he's maybe right. What should I say? What do you say when your spouse talks about doing things you know are potentially dangerous? I've tried distracting, deflecting, changing the topic, etc. But it keeps coming back. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If it makes him happy, plan it. That doesn't mean you have to follow through with it. I'm sure you can find all kinds of excuses why you can't go if it becomes an issue with him. Will he remember the details of what you plan? If not, that's one of the very few good things about this stinking disease. I hope you can find a way to keep him reasonably happy.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Why don't you just say okay sure, lets look into it. He probably won't have the executive function to take it any farther. If he asks what you've done, could you say you've made some inquiries with a travel agent and are waiting to hear back?

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Maybe you could pretend to plan it and then it is cancelled due to bad weather - tell him you’ll plan again at a later time.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My DH has also been fixated on travel. The last trip we planned, which we cancelled because of few reasons, not the least of which was DH back pain caused by a fall that summer. DH could never keep the itinerary straight, even after I gave him copies for reference. He helped plan it but every day asked me what we had planned. It was maddening. Fast forward to these days and he still asks whether we have any plans to travel. I have usually said, "not yet, why don't you find us a good tour?" And with that he will be off to google but then can never follow thru and gets sidetracked. He forgets about it all until a few days later when he asks whether we have any plans to travel. One part of me wishes I could find a tour that was interesting but not taxing and that we could bring along a family member or friend for companionship and help. So far, no such luck. The other part of me just gets exhausted thinking about it.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Look into an Alzheimer's cruise if he can get onto a ship.

Iris

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Yeah. When my husband talks about trips, I say, let us think about it. That stops any ill feeling.

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care