Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need Advice for Mobility Issues

Lhuerta
Lhuerta Member Posts: 22
Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My DH was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. I'm not sure what stage he's in, but he's really slowing down physically. He has to get up a couple of times a night to pee, and it has become very hard for him. He sits up on the side of the bed and rocks back and forth until he gets enough momentum to stand up. I try to help but haven't figured out how to??? He's like dead weight.

He does a little better from his chair in the living room, but I can tell it's getting harder for him.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

When my mother had the same difficulty years ago, this was a great help.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Or if you think he could handle it, get him a urinal like they use in the hospitals.

• KellyM
    KellyM Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment

My husband has mobility issues too.I placed a commode next the bed if he can’t make it to the bathroom and he has used it a few times.Also I have put a water proof mattress cover on the bed with a fitted and flat sheets and another set of sheets so if he has a accident in bed I can take off the soiled sheets and get him back in bed quickly and deal with the sheets in the morning.He also has a walker that he uses in the house.I keep a transport wheelchair in my car, it’s lightweight and much easier and safer when I take him out to doctors appointments, restaurants, etc.

You may want to speak to the doctor about medications that help with mobility.My DH is taking Carb/Levo that helps him.

• Lhuerta
    Lhuerta Member Posts: 22
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Thank you all - those are good suggestions.

This journey is so hard.

• brs
    brs Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I replaced the guest room bed with a very comfortable "non medical looking" lift chair. This enables DH to more easily to go from a lying position to standing. He also can go the toilet throughout the night while I sleep in another room. It's a win for us both. I also replaced his traditional oversized living room recliner with a heated/massage lift chair. This has solved his rocking trying to stand getting in and out while watching t.v. I ordered both of these chairs (different styles) within a couple months of each other. I didn't ask, just did. If I'd of asked his opinion prior it would've led to an argument from him that neither was needed. I should add, he enjoys both chairs now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more