Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caregiver Weight Gain

WIGO23
WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

I am wondering if any of you caregivers have fallen into a pattern of overeating. I know I have and gained 25 pounds this past year! I try and try to stop giving in to my cravings but nothing works. It worries me because not only am I displeased with how I look but it will likely affect my health.

I am not asking for advice about weight loss or stress reduction. I am still an active person and practice stress reduction. But this overeating seems beyond my control.

I just wonder if others have dealt with this.

Comments

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Yes - you are not alone! The solution isn't easy and I think what works for one person doesn't always work for others, but what worked for me was something I read (but can't remember where!) The advice was that when you crave something, you crave the taste but are not really hungry. So - I would set out a very small portion (couple of tablespoons of ice cream or one chocolate candy), enjoy the taste and then make a cup of tea to top it off. I still got to satisfy my craving, and the extra fluid seemed to somehow break the cycle of wanting more. I also found that if I was really craving more of something, I just gave in early in the day and then reduced whatever else I was eating that day, so I wasn't getting more calories than needed. Can't say it always works, but I am able to wear my jeans again!

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Yes, yes, yes … I can relate. I have turned into a grazer. I am constantly nibbling on something. I exercise everyday, but I never lose weight because of the overeating. For me, I think it’s because I am home so much of the time, rather than out running around. Why not munch on something? …. After all, I am walking right past the pantry.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited March 5

You are not alone. I had no idea I could develop my very own chipmunk cheeks. It looks like I’ve got quite a collection of nuts I’m preparing to store for a hard winter. 😏

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

This isn't uncommon.

It's hard to keep all the moving pieces of healthy habits in the face of caregiving of this magnitude. When dad's dementia was finally diagnosed and I moved my parents near me to help them, I gained about 20 lbs. It wasn't just overeating, for me it was a combination of comfort eating and reduced opportunities to exercise (I used to walk 1-3 hours in the park most days).

On the thread the weighs the pros/cons of home vs memory care, I posted a link to a report on the impact of dementia-- it mentions higher rates of obesity in caregivers compared to non-caregivers. It's definitely a thing.

HB

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh my yes! I eat to self soothe. High stress, restlessness, grief. It’s a form of medicating myself. Comfort food. Mindless eating. I’ve had to become far more aware of my inner self, my hurts, to understand the reasons behind the eating. I’ve learned a lot about this in a plan I’m in. Knowing the drive behind it makes it easier to break habits.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yep!!! My HWD/Alz keeps losing weight and I keep gaining. I know it is stress eating and definitely not healthy.We still get out and walk but not for any length of time or at a beneficial pace. My hubby loves to pick up rocks, flowers so I have to wait for him. Here’s hoping we can all get a grip on ourselves and stay healthy :)

• gbriggs
    gbriggs Member Posts: 11
    First Comment

I would start with trying to eliminate sugar if that is what you are finding that you might be turning to. It is always my first go to and then followed by me seeking something salty. I found that by eliminating my sugar intake made me less inclined to graze. Stress is tough and in the midst, we sometimes throw the towel in and say who cares??? Self care is so important when others rely on us. Please try to make time to care for yourself mentally, physically, and spiritually. Best of luck to you :)

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I can relate, gained about 35 pounds. I gave up (for the most part) bread and potatoes. I've lost the weight and feel a lot better. It's hard to keep it off with the little exercise I do. I also fast, usually one day a week...seems to be working.

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

My cooking ability kept me from gaining weight.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more