Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How do you know you LO is in the dying phase?

I just left him in the hospital for observation - impacted colon anyway he is so weak. Now can barely walk , sleeps slot. Keeps saying he is dying and I will be ok, i say” Michael- we can get busy living or we can get busy dying’ He will say I want yo get busy living When I left him tonight I felt so sad Maybe I sm not accepting and he is moving on to the next stage of AD - so I left him with people who do not care - he is a Medicare number as are all their patients He sweetly said goodnight I ordered him a chocolate milk shake for dinner- his favorite 🥲

Comments

• Dogsaremylife
    Dogsaremylife Member Posts: 46
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am right there with you. Within the last several days it has been a roller coaster of medical people giving me conflicting information about my DH's status. This group is a force for all that is good. We are all in the same boat, maybe at different points in the progress of dealing with this disease, but still we all face the same pain. I know your great concern about him being just a "number", I have just been through realizing our hospitals are stressed and it is up to us to do what we can to keep things going for our loved one. My DH loves chocolate milkshakes, too. We have to hang tight with each other. Blessings to you and your LO.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Brokenhearted it's very hard to know for sure, but there's a folk wisdom among doctors that if a patient tells you they think that they may be dying you darn well better listen.

I hope he's comfortable. Hospitals are terrible places for most but especially so for our vulnerable loved ones with dementia.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you it has all happened so fast.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Is he being treated for the impacted colon? Or is he on hospice and getting comfort care only?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more