Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Swallowing Issues

M5M
M5M Member Posts: 114
Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

DH has had occasional issues with swallowing for years, but since his Alz diagnosis the difficulties are much more often. He has learned to chew slowly, eat very small bites, and it takes him twice the time to finish a meal than it does me. Last night I had been to a meting and came home, he had an episode while I was gone. It was even more scary because he was home alone.

Over the past few weeks, he has more of these episodes. Something gets "stuck" about halfway down, he has to sit and wait for it to move on. Sometimes he can cough it up or spit some. He is definitely in Stage 4, some parts into Stage 5.....but in reading about swallowing difficulties, it is a symptom more common in the true later stages.

I'm looking for suggestions, what food, methods....does he need to see the gastro doctor?

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ask PCP to order a swallow study. There are multiple possibilities for the etiology of his dysphagia (trouble swallowing). You are right that swallowing difficulty would be less likely to be caused by AD in someone who is in the earlier stages.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband went through similar problem eating. I mentioned it to his neurologist. Mainly that he could not open his mouth wide to eat. He was tested, biopsies and diagnosed with temporal enteritis. This was early in ALZ also. Just something else to consider.

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband had a similar experience. It turned out he needed a stent in his esophagus. I would see your pcp and get them to order a test. There maybe a simple solution.

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband’s swallowing problems were caused by radiation. Wecblend most of his foods.

No morebprobkem.

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Thanks for the interesting-and varied- information. I will check w PCP.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more