Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Long Goodbye

I have been keeping a journal, at the suggestion of my doctor. She also suggested that I share some or all of my journal entries to anybody I think might benefit or gain some insight into my experience. So I thought I would share today's journal entry with all of you. I feel that you will definitely relate.

MARCH 8, 2024: The Long Goodbye

My mother died in December 2022. My father died eight months later in August 2023. Both of them were in their late 80s when they died. I grieved, and then my grief eased to sadness, and now I just hold them in my memories. This is the way saying goodbye is supposed to be. 

Or so I thought.

My husband is dying. His self and spirit are all but gone. Dementia is killing him. I profoundly grieve this slow, painstaking loss of my too-young-to-die, 70-year-old husband. 

I take care of what is left of him.  I keep him comfortable, clean, and nourished. I try to keep him from being too isolated. When I see a rare smile or hear a rare chuckle from him, my heart soars. Somewhere inside that dying brain are embers of his spirit that still linger. 

They call it “The Long Goodbye”. Years of watching somebody you love disappear, while their heart still beats. Years of loneliness as you care for the shell that once was your soulmate.

You grieve, but instead of the grief easing into sadness, and then acceptance, the grief lingers like a dark cloud overhead that never lifts. You go about your days in spite of the grief, soldiering on as you are expected to do.  This can go on for years, as this disease is rarely quick.

None of us in this situation wants to live like this. We don’t want to grieve endlessly for years on end. But grief is a fickle beast. It’s very difficult to overcome. 

Besides my primary goal of keeping my husband safe and well (as well as he can be under the circumstances), I have a goal of moving through my grief and ultimately getting to acceptance. I think part of what makes it so hard to move beyond the grief is a sense of “survivor’s guilt”. I mean, why should I be okay when my husband is not? Shouldn’t I remain in solidarity with him by suffering along with him?

Of course, this is irrational and unsustainable. Not only would my husband not want me to suffer, but if I don’t get myself in a better place I won’t be able to care for him. As my doctor said, “An empty plate cannot nourish”. 

So as I say this long goodbye to my husband, I must also say goodbye to my grief. I cannot sustain this level of grief for years on end. I must make peace with all of this. But making peace with it does not make it okay. It will NEVER be okay.  

Comments

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Exactly! My DH was diagnosed 8 years ago. Looking back I can see via hindsight he began having symptoms two years prior to that. So we have been at it now 10 years. In that time I’ve been able to move into the acceptance phase. We’re more like roommates, but with all the responsibilities on me. Nevertheless, every new symptom hits me between the eyes. Painful grief, that slowly ebbs away as the behavior becomes the norm. That slow up and down of emotions over time.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Hello Carolyn. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They are very similar to my own as my wife is in a similar state. I had moved her to MC almost a year ago and now that she is near the end of her dementia journey I think about bringing her home for what looks like will be the “long goodbye”. But I don’t think I can endure it emotionally. I admire you being able to keep your husband close.

I had been visiting my wife daily for most of her time in MC until January when Covid and some travel reduced the frequency of my visits. The grief persists but the guilt is subsiding.

Since she is now mostly non-responsive I’m starting to wonder if she is starting her next journey which will be on her own. As will be my continued journey here on earth. Could she be letting me know it’s time to prepare for a life apart?

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Thank you for sharing!

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I try to journal but it is more of a record than a journal as you so eloquently produce. Every day as I write I say to myself "I am so ill equipped to do this" but I know it will only get worse and God will be beside me all the way and give me the tools I need to carry on.

• TyroneSlothrop
    TyroneSlothrop Member Posts: 51
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Carolyn 4255,

Beautifully written! Please share more if you will.

Thanks,

Tyrone

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thank you so much for sharing this. I do understand how hard this journey is. I'm in (I think) year 5 since the first diagnosis of MCI. I don't know if other caregivers share this, but (and I think maybe it's because of my DH's behavior), I feel a lot of anger, too, not just grief. I had just fully retired in 2019 and by end of that year my DH was showing behaviors that "weren't right". He would get angry and blame me for all sorts of things. I just feel beaten up and cheated out of any retirement at all. I seem to alternate between anger and sadness. In my case I think the grief is waiting around a corner for me until I get enough peace to feel it. I find myself tearing up at odd moments. This "Long Goodbye" seems to be a "stew" of unpleasant emotions that have to be kept under control as they upset our LOs. Sigh.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thank you for sharing your journal with us.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

thank you for sharing. You have a gift at writing. Maybe at some point you should think about publishing a book. Seriously! The way you articulate what so many can relate to would be beneficial to others starting this journey❤️

• Carolyn4255
    Carolyn4255 Member Posts: 11
    25 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment

Thank you for your kind words, Lgb35.

• Openloc
    Openloc Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I absolutely can relate, though I'm at the very beginning... no actual diagnosis yet, as my DH thinks I'm greatly exaggerating his symptoms of memory loss, confusion, and communication problems. How do I"supportively" talk to him about going to a Dr for help and support?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more