Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH now cannot walk

Home health care nurse told me that DH must be supervised all the time. With just the two of us, prior to his latest decline, he could at least go with me to the store, Mass errands - the beach etc. I sm trying to keep him safely at home, but how will I run basic errands? Walk the dog etc and keep Him safe. The problem is with his dementia he gets up to walk and has a high risk of falling. I could use some good advice. He is stage 6 snd I am losing hope.

Comments

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’m so sorry to hear he’s reached this stage. Unfortunately, it sounds like you need to bring in private pay caregivers to allow you to leave. Or ask friends to come and stay with him for you. His safety precludes you being free to run errands away from home.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

My husband can walk short distances but often gets shaky when he’s tired and is a fall risk. We have a private pay caregiver who comes for 4 hours per day, 3 days per week. She’s been with us for about a year and a half. This allows me to get out for grocery shopping and my own medical appointments. He gets along well with her so it works out well.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm sorry. Do you have family nearby? If so, maybe they would take turns giving you a break so you can get things taken care of. If not, it's either neighbors or paid help. That can get expensive, and not everybody can do that. If you haven't checked out memory care facilities, it is time to do that. That doesn't mean he has to go. It means you won't be caught blindsided in a crisis, and are forced to take whatever you can get.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Have you checked out your local area agency on aging? We live in Missouri and the Area Agency On Aging was so helpful to us. My husband is in memory care now, but before that I got 32 hours of respite care a month from the Area Agency On Aging. They also sent an aide once a week to help him in the shower.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more