Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DW Assaulted by MCF Employee

Has anyone on here experienced the physical assault and battery of their LO by a MCF employee? My LO was assaulted by an employee resulting in a serious injury and hospitalization. The assault was caught on security cameras. When police reviewed the video evidence the employee was arrested. I'm heartbroken and angry and wondering how to handle this. I'm looking for a new facility for when my LO is discharged from the hospital. I've not see this topic on this site. Anyone else been there?

Comments

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

That is terrible. It is as bad as trusting your toddler to a daycare where they get molested. It brings me to tears. When I think of the agony and guilt we all go through at the thought of having to place our LO and the to have them assaulted is so hard to even think of. I hope you are able to find a safer place.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Walter, it’s horrible that this happened to your LO. I don’t recall any threads on this forum about this topic, but maybe someone else will. My heart goes out to you at this time. I am so sorry this happened.

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 58
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

I have not had to experience this with my DH as he is still at home with me. However I have sister who is developmental disabled. I am her legal guardian. I have had to deal with this situation at least 2 times. The 1st time there was witness to my sister being slapped repeatedly by the caregiver. Still the police and adult protective services were hesitate to bring charges and the group home was sl ow in dismissing this employee.

I was in constant communication with the detective and the witness also continue to follow up with the detective. I also continue to follow up the the county attorney. We did get a conviction however the caregiver was given probation.

The other time my sister was injured the police who investigated took the word of the caregivers who stated my sister injured herself. The caregivers were sisters. My sister had two swollen black eyes and a black and blue face. No chargers and adult protective services didn't investigate for about two months.

In Phoenix AZ at the time there was only 1 detective to investigate elderly abuse. My sister's file was at the bottom of the stack.

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. It is heartbreaking for sure. I am glad you have video and you are there to keep the pressure on the authorities to act on your love ones behave.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I think you must carefully consider your options to prosecute, after you are sure your LO is taken care of. I would consult an attorney at least.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

After your LO is out of there, seriously consider reporting the incident to the state regulatory agency who handles MCF licensing. This need to be on the record for other families to know about when they research MCFs for their LOs.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I understand looking for another facility. Also consider how the current facility is dealing with this crime. Are they slow to respond and fire the employee, or are they taking swift and appropriate action including training for all staff? Any employer can inadvertently hire someone who later commits a crime, but if they are responding appropriately your LO may get excellent care there.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

There was an incident here about 5 years ago in which a resident was assaulted by a staff member at one of those beautifully decorated corporate freestanding MCFs.

Not long after the arrest and conviction of the staff member-- who had a clean background check, btw-- the facility was sold to another corporate chain and rebranded which removed this incident disappear. The DON and Director were offered positions at other facilities in the company but most of the direct care people stayed on.

After the debacle of people dying in care communities during COVID's early outbreak, about half to the MCFs and a couple larger CCRCs were sold which obscures the numbers of people who died.

@Walter0617

I don't have any experience with this, but I would hope an arrest is made.

HB

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That's horrible. Makes me pause about trusting the staff where my wife is. No telling how the overnight staff, just two, treat her during outbursts and emotional hysterics because she is still that way especially in the early morning. During the day she's surrounded by other people and is ok.

I'm sorry that happened to your loved one by people that are always supposed to care for them and in whom we place our trust.

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I believe the facility is mandated to report that themselves. I would check that out.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am so sorry to read this. I concur with the others to pursue legal/criminal options. Unfortunately, many facilities tend to hire inexperienced employees at minimum wage. Where I live the one facility has been in trouble more than once regarding the care staff. I can’t imagine this happening to my loved one.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@Walter0617 and @marier I am so very sorry this happened to your LOs. I'd be in jail. Sorry, I know that's not helpful but... I'd find it very hard to restrain myself and I'm not a large person nor a fighter (physically anyway). But just NO to abusing the elderly, the young, and those with disabilities. OMG.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited March 11

This is about as bad as it gets. I'm so sorry. As long as these places can get away with this stuff, why should they spend an extra dollar to make sure it doesn't happen again? Punishment should be swift and severe.

@ghphotog I understand how this affects you and others if your LO is in a facility. But it has been almost unheard of on this forum, so the chance of something like this happening to your LO is minute. That doesn't mean it can't happen, only that chances are very small. If it would make you feel better, ask if you can put a camera in her room. I know a MCF in our area allows it, and they put a note on the doors of the patients who have one. That could make someone think twice if they're thinking about crossing any lines at all.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Walter, I am so sorry to hear that your DW was seriously injured by those hired to protect her. I hope you are hiring a lawyer to make sure both the facility and the employee are punished to the fullest extent of the law. This is just horrible.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more