Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Super charged backlash

I'm caring for my DH at home. He is mobile but I don't trust him to walk without losing his balance so I do assist him. For the most part, I move him out of his chair for meals and bedtime. I can get him to the car so I am able to attend to chores while he stays in the car. All of that is fine on most days. However, at times, he has super-charged days. It might be once a week or once a month. On normal days, he sleeps part of the day. During a super-charged day, he is awake and jabbering(he lost his ability to speak clearly years ago) and wanting to move around constantly. This state lasts about 24 hours which included motion and jabbering through the night. I can deal with all of that. The day or two after this, he is totally out of it. I can barely get him out of bed. At times, he will not open his eyes and he will not move. When I finally get him up, he can barely walk. Once he is in his chair, he sleeps non-stop. I need to work at getting him awake to move to table for meals. He has on occasion just sat down on the floor when moving from his chair. His legs just won't go any further. Does anyone have suggestions on how to reduce the super-charging? It takes so much out of him.

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

What psychotropic medications is he taking (if any)?

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Thank you for saying it is OK for “normal “ to be whatever works! In another post, it would be interesting to hear some of your other work-arounds, it is helpful to hear suggestions!

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Perhaps an antipsychotic medication on an as needed basis would be helpful. Has he been evaluated for hospice care?

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Cheryl, welcome to the forum, but wish you didn't need it. I wish I had an answer for your question, but I don't. I just wanted to welcome you. It sounds as if you have been doing this for quite a while, and you should have valuable input for others here.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

A warm welcome from me too.

What does your husband's neurologist have to offer as help?

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi and welcome. You may want to speak to his doctor (neurologist or geriatric psychiatrist preferably) about possible meds to help. If he's experiencing anxiety and agitation during that "supercharged" state, it is probably quite upsetting to him. Medications may be able to help even things out for him.

• northernlady
    northernlady Member Posts: 85
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I second this! Ideas that have worked for us have come from co-travelers on this journey, and my teenaged grandkid! "Just give him the food he wants to eat."

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more