Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New here

Wvdancer
Wvdancer Member Posts: 6
Third Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Hi, my name is Debbie and my husband, Bill, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2019.The signs were there sooner but I didn't recognize it. His mom died with Alzheimer's at age74. We've only been married for 10 years. This a second marriage for both of us after being single for over 20 years. Bill is 81 and me 70 in April. My step daughter lives 3 hours away in WV as well as his brother 4 hours away in Pennsylvania. Bill was told by the neurologist not to drive, no guns(he was a hunter and loaded his own shells) as well as target shoot. He was diagnosed at stage 5 and now he is at the end. He has declined a lot in the last year. He is such a pleasant person to be around. He's always been calm and never violent. It was tough accepting the prognosis, and Bill said that he just hates what this will do to me. I said that God put me here at the right time and place. We live in Hometown, WV during the summer and winter in Sebring, FL. This year has been so confusing and I'm thinking that this will be the last year wintering in FL. He sleeps from about 10:00 pm to anywhere from 10-3. I fainted and am being tested for different things. I spent 2 days in the hospital and my sisters and a neighbor watched Bill while I was gone. I'm just glad he adjusted so well without me. I was wondering how he would do, so this situation answered my prayers. I've read several people's posts and I think this will be a great place to be and learn.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Wvdancer, Welcome but sorry you needed to seek out our community. There are many great people here with a wealth of experience that they will gladly share. If you have not done so you should see a Certified Elder Law Attorney to get your legal and financial house in order. Delaying this can have devastating consequences if it reaches the point where your husband can no longer sign legal documents.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Wv, Welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry you are going through this. Joe is right. You will receive support here and much good information. It can be overwhelming at times. Try to stay in the moment. Ask lots of questions. And read as much as you can.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Just saying hello and welcome, I used to live in Lake Wales and spent a year working in Lewisburg and Bluefield, WV.

You've come to a warm and caring place here with lots of good folks. All the best to you and your DH.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Welcome to the forum. It has been a big help to me.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Debbie. I'd like to add my welcome too. "Bill was told by the neurologist not to drive, no guns(he was a hunter and loaded his own shells) as well as target shoot." How has he reacted to this? Most people, especially men, really have a hard time accepting the fact that they need to give up the things that they've been accustomed to for so long. Some people get lucky, and their LO complies with the doctor's order. I hope that's the case for you.

Caregiving is hard enough without having your own medical problems. Hopefully you will get some good news relating to that.

Joe C. mentioned seeing a CELA if you haven't already taken care of that. If you haven't, please do it ASAP, as this is very important.

• Wvdancer
    Wvdancer Member Posts: 6
    Third Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Being an advent hunter, he accepted it very well. He and his brother weren't hunting like they did when they were younger. It was more of a social get together the last couple of years before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I'm so glad he accepted no guns so easily.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more