Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How Long

CindyBum
CindyBum Member Posts: 268
250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm sitting in the neuropsychologist office, having sat through the first set of questions to my DW for what I imagine will be her last evaluation to get a diagnosis. Like I need one -- she couldn't tell the Dr. what month or day it is, she can't drive or work her phone, and her speech is more halting and her ability to understand what I say worse every day. But here we are, and here I am, still needing this last smack across the head to maybe get out of my denial that I'm losing her.

And, I find myself today, like so many of my days, wondering how long on so many fronts. How long before she slips away completely? How long can I possibly work when I know I'm using up all my patience at home and getting more short with people at work? How long until they fire me because I've been short with the wrong person? How long will I have to change her clothes and then diapers? How long will she live? How long can I manage to care for her at home? How long can I afford to have her in a facility? How long until I have a semblance of a normal life again? How long will it take me to build a new life after she's gone?

Of course, I'm going to have to take each of these questions day by day, sometimes minute by minute. It really tells me about how anxious I am for this all to be over, and yet I don't want to lose her yet. I hope I can make it through with love and care for her, and occasionally for myself. Not sure I can right now. I am a walking train wreck.

Comments

• northernlady
    northernlady Member Posts: 85
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I'll join you on that railroad track as we just recently discovered by darling husband's diagnosis.

We aren't alone

No question is too simplistic

Some questions have no answers

Change (mostly yours) is inevitable and comes when you are least prepared.

Sending love and hope.

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Your questions could be the chapter titles for a book for those of us on this painful journey. I share your worries and sadness and send you prayers for strength and support.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Like you Cindybum I wonder myself everyday, it about 15 months since my wife diagnosed moderate on set dementia, has short memory loss a lot, confused hasn’t cooked on 2 yrs. And no driving. But does everything else alone. but I do find in last month short term is worse. I pray she’d stay like this but I know better

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Remember one thing: if you’ve seen one dementia patient, you’ve seen one dementia patient. Just because one patient has symptom x and declines at a certain pace, doesn’t mean your loved one will follow that exact path. Prepare for the worst, but that doesn’t mean it’s coming towards you.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

How long is the wrong question. How I get through the day is the question.

DW started showing symptoms in 2009 57 years old

MCI in 2010 58 years old

EOAD 2012 60 years old

Memory care placement 2017 65 years old

Lost any idea of me 2018 66 years old

Wheelchair bound 2021 69 years old

2024 71 years old

Just get through today

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all for your kind, compassionate responses. Helpful, as always.

I'm told we'll have the report by the end of the week.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more