Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH took a nosedive this week.

Thanks to everyone for ideas. DW has lost so much ground this week cognitively and physically. He now cannot walk without assistance. Right now he is laying in bed with soiled clothes and refuses to get up to allow me to change his clothes before bedtime. I have tried everything ! He will not sit up to take his meds either I cannot physically pick him up snd it is just the two of us. I have no choice but to let him stay there overnight hoping morning will be better I am trying to keep him at home as long as I can but it is getting more difficult . Has anyone been in this position?

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I would check for a silent UTI. Sudden onset of off the charts behavior often is due to a urinary tract infection in PWDs. Checking for UTI ask for a culture, to determine what kind of bacteria (I think), so the best antibiotic is prescribed. If it is a UTI, it won't be better in the morning -- it just gets worse with no other symptoms except going off the rails and for us it was often urinating everywhere, eloping, climbing out the window etc.

In the meantime, I would crush any meds that can be given that way, and stir them in some juice water, applesauce, pudding or whatever he likes. At least you won't have the extra problem of his being off his regular meds.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Have you asked for a hospice evaluation?

• sixcats
    sixcats Member Posts: 17
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Omg, it is time you get your dh in a memory care facility. We are in the same boat, except I’ve had my husband in memory care for 3 years. He’s going into hospice very soon, sooner than I expected. Pls email me if you want to connect. janice6244 atgmaildotcom.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more