Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What to do?

My DW is now fully involved with her dementia/delusions. She is getting angry and physically violent.

So, what is the next step? Do I need to look to have her committed?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

She may need hospitalization on a geriatric psych unit for medication stabilization. I would find out what hospitals near you have such units and either take her to the ER there or call 911 to have her taken. I'm sorry, having had to do this myself i know how difficult it is.

• coloradobear
    coloradobear Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

thank you for your advice; I'm sorry you had this experience too.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

M1 gave you excellent advice. I'd just like to add that if you haven't already, please check out the available facilities now. You don't want to get to the point where you have an emergency, then have to take whatever place you can get on the spur of the moment. But seeing a geri-psych is the first place to check. I wish you luck.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I do not know the background, but recommend calling her doctor. I don't know if she is seeing a neurologist, geriatrician or geriatric psychiatrist. If recent tests have not been done, recommend bloodwork and urine tests. The doctor can advise whether there is an underlying issue, medication can be prescribed to help or hospitalization is warranted as M1 mentioned.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited March 12

Calling her doctor is a good idea and a quick UTI urine test will tell if a UTI might be exacerbating her delusions. If she tests negative for a UTI and she's not on any medications yet the her doctor / neuro can prescribe medications that can calm those down but might require an in person visit and scheduling that could take weeks to be seen. I would call her primary and order a UTI test. It's an easy first step in troubleshooting extremes. All I had to do was call the PCP office and say I think my wife has a UTI. The doctor would just send the order to the lab and we were in and out and had the resultes in a day or two.

PS. When she was at the point where it wasn't really able to go to the lab in person I would just pick up a specimen cup, have her pee at home in a urine catch and take the urine sample straight to the lab and drop it off.

After that then a ER / Geripsych visit might be the fastest route.

I never had the heart to have my wife hauled of by ambulance or commited to a psych ward even if it's temporary. Her last extremes were related to a UTI and since she was dbl incontinent they were becoming quite frequent and I knew that an MC should be able to care for her better than I could. So far she is doing much better than expected at MC but I'm still not ready to call it a victory just yet but so far the seem to be doing a very good job with her.

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Have been gone from site for few months but this string really hits home.

My LO has been in the hospital and now rehab for 4 weeks. the worse part is we were out of town at our vacation home. my LO had a UTI and did not have any energy to stand. Went to emergency, admitted to hospital and on IV for antibodics and other stuff. We left the hospital after a week, but he fell again at the vacation home. So went back to emergency, admitted and stayed almost 2 weeks to get strength back with physical therapy. After 2 weeks, went to rehab and still there. Discovered he had another UTI which really impacted his ability to do physical therapy and respond to medical team. These UTI's really affect the dementia in such an adverse way. He is now improving with another dose of antibodics and participating in physical therapy. However, doctor had to prescribe an anti depressent which also helps with appetitute since he wasn't eating. All is improving but its day by day.

Don't hesitate about calling ambulance. I had to do it 3 times within a week and half. And had him hospitalized twice. It was the best decision becos you cannot do it all by yourself. I learned that lesson these last 2 months.

• coloradobear
    coloradobear Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Thank you for these notes. We did get her tested for a UTI, which came back negative. On the medication side, though, she has been on 25mg of Seroquel for about a month now and it seems to have dampened her delusions considerably. She was waking up every night with those and getting her calmed down was hit or miss. Now, she is pretty much sleeping through the night, but still wakes up (groggy) asking about something; I'm able to gently suggest going back to sleep and that works. We see her neurologist in a couple of days.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

good advice above, nothing to add other than I went through a couple ER room-based referrals with DW, I feel for you, though necessary at the time, it was very painful to go through.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more