Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Smart911

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I attended a neighborhood watch meeting the other day and found out something I didn't know was out there so I thought I'd share. It's called Smart911 and provides additional information to 911 so they can help you faster in an emergency. You go to smart911.com and follow the steps. Besides your address and directions to get to your house, you can provide them information on your loved ones disease, any medications either of you take, your utility information such as natural gas and where the turn off is located. You can provide them with your vehicle information and even add your pets along with their veterinarian and their phone number. You can give them your garage access code and they even suggested getting a lock box with a house key and give them that code so if something terrible happens they don't have to break your door down. My police department assured us this is completely safe and all information is secure until you may have to call 911. You can give them as much or as little information you are comfortable with. As the parent of 4 fur babies (3 cats and 1 dog) I personally like the fact first responders have this information along with them knowing about my DH's disease so they know what they are up against. Also, if DH calls 911 the operator can access the situation better and my not have to send all the emergency vehicles at once.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This is good to know! Thank you for posting.

Iris

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That's great, and something most of us probably didn't know about. Thank you!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you!!!

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

Unfortunately, Smart911 isn’t available in most communities. I live in a city of over a million people and it is not available in my zip code. You can go to smart911.com to check your zip code for coverage. You can also advocate for coverage in your area code there.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you im going to look in to a lock box.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

We have this in our area. It’s great because, for all the reasons stated, it can give important medical information about a family member who can’t communicate. Our child with an intellectual disability and some medical issues can have her information listed—-and you can indicate if the person might not respond to commands, be nonverbal, difficult behaviors, etc. If it’s available, I recommend it.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thanks for sharing this. We live in a small community and my DDIL called the non-emergency number and just gave the first responders information about my address and my DH's diagnosis/behavior. They were very supportive and explained what would be done in the event they were called on 911. It was a load off my mind to know how they would handle it and if transport became needed, where DH would end up. It's another alternative for those who don't have the smart911

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more