Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rash on chest

M5M
M5M Member Posts: 114
Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

DH has been complaining of ongoing itchiness on chest, arms, back. There is a visible rash especially on the chest. This has been for several weeks, maybe 2 months. We put hydrocortozine 1% on it which helps, but apparently the itchiness is getting more constant and even disrupts his sleep. I sent a note to the PCP who had him come in, reviewed meds, suggested stopping his gabapentin and to call the dermatologist. He takes Eliquis, B-12, baby aspirin, thyroid, atorvastatin, stool softener. (Stopped the gabapentin yesterday). Doctor eliminated poison ivy, bed bugs, etc. We have changed detergents and soap.

He is not a complainer overall, so I know this is distressing to him. Wondering about other suggestions.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited March 15

Call the doctor and ask him if an OTC antihistamine could be taken along with the cream. That would help the itching. People recommend staying away from Benadryl.

• M5M

ah! good idea. Will try.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Eliquis can cause rashes….of any of the drugs that’s the most likely culprit unfortunately

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Of course, don’t stop Eliquis on your own- he likely is taking that for a life threatening condition.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My DH developed an upper body rash several weeks after starting Allupurinol. I would guess it's medication related.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Prednisone! My DH deals with periodic rashes and welts due to allergies. No number of antihistamines will cut it. I can give him 10 mg of prednisone in the morning and he will get instant results. Nothing long term. Just as needed.

• M5M

That's interesting, PCP did not comment on the Eliquis....which, like the gabapentin, he has been taking for years. Going to check on allergy OTC and prednisone.

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
  • M5M

Aha! Went to the dermatologist, got an appointment sooner than expected. She took one look at DH, said, "Gabapentin is not the issue. You have Grover's Disease"......an unusual disease striking mostly older men, named by Dr. Grover years ago.....its a rash that can get pretty itchy and unattractive, annoying but not threatening in itself. The rash can include some crusty or hardened papules, blisters, mostly red spots. She prescribed a cream stronger than hydrocortisone to subdue the itchiness, hasn't been delivered yet. DH version of the rash looks like a "poster boy" from the photos online.

So far, dropping the gabapentin has not been an issue. DH has not complained about the knee pain it was prescribed for, and can take acetaminophen for that if it is a concern. One less pill is good.

Thanks to all for good suggestions for future.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Fantastic that you got such a quick diagnosis! I’m sorry it ended up being something like that. At least he’s going to get some relief!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more