Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Curious?

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

Interesting to see the various venues this disease takes! ! Finding lately DH is now using my towel when he actually takes a shower. Choosing the soup I like to have even tho he has never liked it in the past, wanting to sit where I usually sit either at the table or watching TV? What??? Explain!

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Your H’s brain is being compromised in various areas that are affecting his behaviors + physical health.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited March 16

He is using you and your behaviors and decisions as a guide to help him figure out what to do. He can no longer make those decisions, but can see what you’ve decided

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW has recently decided she doesn't like beef or chicken. So far fish is OK. She mostly has just been eating cottage cheese, crackers and fudge cycles.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh yes, mine uses my towel, my shampoo etc. They just don't see the differences. Showering becomes confusing and tiring. Eventually, they will forget to shower, change their clothes etc.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    1. Doesn't remember which towel he used before, or which soup he used to like. 2. Wants to please me, so chooses what I seem to prefer. 3. Following my example, my lead, because he identifies with me. 4. Loss of executive function leaves him as a follower rather than a leader. ...Whatever it is, it's way better than oppositional behavior.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@JC5

It could be he's forgotten about the unwritten "rules" of the household and is following your prompts.

Via a vis food choice, his tastes might have changed. As dad's dementia progressed her ate an entirely different diet. The first thing I noticed was craving sweets. When I was a kid, dad would take us to an ice cream parlor after doing payroll at his shop-- dad would have a BLT and a coffee while the rest of us had sundaes DWD (dad w/dementia) was putting away a gallon a week plus cookies. Then he time-traveled back to his pre-gall bladder (pre-1980) surgery diet and ended up in pain from stones again. In the later stages, he started enjoying highly seasoned and even spicy fare I brought over to spare mom cooking.

Showering is a complex ADL. It sounds like he needs to be set up at the very least and would probably benefit from some guidance while showering.

Confabulation might be afoot as well. This is when a person recalls the gist of something but is hazy on the details. He might remember somebody likes the whatever-flavor soup and assume it's him. Dad had crazy conflated memories of all kinds of things big and small. He once, in the same conversation, conflated a flood destroying his house (that was me) and total knee replacement surgery (mom).

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney