Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

It's weird. . .

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

We used to come here all time.

My DW would have a coke and I would have a beer. That was back in stages 2 through early 6. We would always get a small pepperoni to go. Back then I also was caring for my mom also. I loved sitting in this exact booth with her right by my side. We would hold hands under the table.

Eventually, slowly we had to stop coming because she was acting out more and more and it ceased being enjoyable. I dreamed of the day however when I could come back by myself and enjoy a beer in peace.

Now that day is here I don't feel the way I thought I would. It's weird, the human condition I guess that when we are always under stress we look over the fence towards freedom and when it finally gets here it's not how we imagined. Now I'm sitting in our booth by myself, not exuberant for my freedom but a bit lost.

Guilt and sorrow overshadows my relief from constant caregiving but I watched a video today from dementia careblazers about guilt which has helped me realize I was a dmd good caregiver for her. I showed up day in and day out for years. I did the best I knew how to do and the best for her that I was capable of. I did a damd good job. Cheers!

Still waiting for picture to load.

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Cheers to being a d*%# good caregiver.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

I feel it isn’t guilt that one feels, but a kind of grief for what has been lost.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Cheers.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Take a deep breath and relaxe you deserve it we all do

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

When I revisit places DW & I frequented they are never quite as enjoyable as they once were. I think it falls under the heading of, “ you can never go home again”.

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I’m avoiding most of ‘our’ places without DW but some are impossible. I use some of them to grieve, like waking in a park where we didn’t go much until the year before placement. There I can remember both reasons for placement and a few of the last quality times we had.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited March 18

Be kind to yourself! We never give ourselves the grace that we freely give to others.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more