Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Important article re: significant risks of hospitalization/ER for PWDs

ButterflyWings
ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Posting on both sites. This corroborates the experiences many of us have had with hospital or ER intervention causing more harm than good for our PWD LOs.

The study focused on fainting or near fainting (syncope) as a reason for the initial hospital contact, but the overarching statements caught my attention and are why we are comfort care-hospice only. Especially at current late stage, but even before this.

"...there are known significant risks associated with hospitalizations for patients with dementia, including prolonged lengths of stay, immobility, falls, protracted delirium, accelerated cognitive and functional decline, institutionalization, and an elevated risk of rehospitalization.1219 In addition to longer-term adverse outcomes, patients with dementia are at increased risk for an “intervention cascade” while hospitalized. With advancing stages of dementia, an increasing majority of patients’ and their family’s care preferences prioritize comfort and more conservative management that aims to limit intensive diagnostic evaluations and invasive interventions.2023"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6156993/

Comments

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

This is an interesting research article. My husband is in a nursing home memory care and is considered to be in advanced dementia even though he still walks, talks, and is continent. He has lost more than ten pounds in six months and so the nursing home has supplemented (without notifying me) a fortified pudding and/or milk to be served with each of his meals. He is also still on blood pressure lowering medications. I do not want him to suffer pain or discomfort, but I do not want him lingering in drawn out advanced dementia stage, either. What do others here do regarding fortified meals and prescribed medicines at the late stages?

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

We allowed Ensure for my father, since he wasn’t really eating that much. It kept him from being hungry but didn’t slow down his decline. It was more a comfort thing. He would drink the chocolate flavor.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I struggle with this because decreased appetite, swallowing difficulties, and weight loss are part of the terminal end of dementia. I would never deny food/liquids if my LO was hungry/thirsty but I certainly would not force feed or place a feeding tube. I think hand feeding becomes a slippery slope to force feeding. That said, I would hand feed if my LO was hungry and wanted to eat.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

At some point I would also refuse antibiotics...

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more