Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Explosive Diarrhea - Oh My!

Hello All - Just commiserating here with fellow spousal caregivers who've battled the awful specter of explosive diarrhea with you LOs. Just finished up my latest battle tonight and have to report it wasn't too bad. Last time was over a year ago and I was an awful mess, and I was mad, cussing and really didn't handle it well at all, fecal material all over the floor and DW stomping through it, it was a cattle barn. Tonight was different though. I put her to bed around 10 pm, went to check on her at 1030, as I approached the room, I could smell a pungent acrid smell and my caregiver superpowers kicked in immediately POOP...but how bad, seems much worse..oh nooOOooo! As I rounded the corner, there it was, DW walking around and tracking fecal matter across the carpet. The adult diapers, tapered pants all failed. Surprisingly though I was already prepared to do battle, cleaning supplies and my handy carpet cleaner ready at hand in the nearby closet. Off came the clothes, into the shower, clean, towel dry, lotion and reclothed in minutes, next I attacked the floor, spraying extra cleaner on the hot spots and cleaned the floor in minutes all the time DW walking next to me saying..."I can help"...bless her heart, I guess her way of saying sorry? Finished, next a 2 mg. dose of Loperamide, back in bed, sit for 10 minutes until she closed her eyes and out of the room I stole. Total time elapse 1 hour since entering the cattle barn. It was then I realized that though the situation was the same, I was somehow different, still grumbling, but nowhere near as angry and no cussing. Don't know, must be battle fatigue or could I be getting another caregiver superpower?? You know we all have them, don't you?

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Congrats! The things we do for love

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

That's real growth on your part.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Keeping your cool during that mess is quite amazing. I know there is nothing funny about the situation AT ALL, however, your words gave me a chuckle nonetheless! You have quite a way with story telling! I’m not there yet with the diapers, but God Bless all of you who are dealing with it now! That is my biggest fear - I hope I have the stomach for it!

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

It’s a super power for sure 🏅

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Congrats to you! You do have superpowers! I am so dreading this as I have such a strong sense of smell and not a good tolerance for bad smells. I have already prepared for the eventual by having gloves, a mask and Vick's vapor rub to put under my nose. I am hoping it gets me through.

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

This is such an important conversation. My LO is currently in rehab after a UTI and attempting to gain strength back in legs. At the rehab, they have him wrapped in a tab diaper for those pee and poop incidents. its easy for them to change him when he is lying down. So when I get home, I don't know if I should continue to change him when he is lying in the bed or wait until that explosive diarrhea when he is walking to the bathroom or might have to put him in wheelchair to roll to bathroom. Also, what cleaning supply is recommended for the carpet?

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Shaving cream to clean carpet

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What I use. Spray for tough spots, solution and Bissell cleaner with hand held wand for sofas as well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more