Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Gut Health

Lgb35
Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I am curious if anyone has researched impact of gut health on cognition or has anyone tried a diet that has shown any benefits

Comments

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DW diagnosed at 52 tried a variety of alternative treatments - mainly around the Bredesen protocol but included a long list of possible contributing factors. One of them was gut health. She received both Rx and herbal treatments to correct an imbalance, and some ongoing fiber+probiotics for maintenance. I cannot say any one thing made a difference. Overall the combination of optimizing measurable factors and staying physically very active I believe slowed her decline in early stages. It could not halt progression and 7 years later we are now firmly in stage 6. You have little to lose by trying, just don’t expect a miracle cure.

• Mollykazoo
    Mollykazoo Member Posts: 35
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Hello.

We have not researched this extensively, but my husband is 55 with early-onset and in early January he and I began eating an entirely vegan diet. We chose to do this based on things I've read about research that has linked plant-based diets to reduced risk for onset of Alzheimer's. Since, in our case, onset has already occurred we are hopeful that this approach might slow things down—but honestly, WHO KNOWS.

In addition to this, my husband is active (exercise/weight training 4-5 days/week) and has always been in very good health physically. We were already pretty healthy eaters, but this new diet was still a big change.

Hard to say if it's made a difference or not. I do see that the disease is progressing—his memory is worse. But, maybe things would be worse without this diet (shrug)?? Regardless, our poops are more regular, so THAT'S a bonus! :)

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Read larrytherunner's posts, also read about aromatherapy from Lane Simonian.

Iris

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited May 16

As with everything related to gut health, there probably isn't enough research on it. It seems the medical community knows there is a gut-brain axis and most acknowledge a potentially significant and intrinsic relationship between the two, but few understand it enough yet to actually affect care and outcomes on a large scale. I'd be surprised if a diet did anything once a person has dementia, but I could believe gut health might play a role in preventing it from starting in the first place. We also don't understand how the immune system plays a role in dementia, and gut health has a big role in the immune system. Malbsorption can cause big problems in immune response, and people with gut diseases like irritable bowel, Crohn's, and Celiac are more at risk for autoimmune diseases that affect other parts of the body. Many experts say best practices for managing dementia include eating the Mediterranean diet, but it's not really going to affect cognition, just general health. A PWD who has a healthy body is going to do better overall and have a higher quality of life. Of course good circulation and the other benefits of a healthy diet such as Mediterranean along with exercise, good sleep etc. can only help the overall picture and possibly slow progression but it wouldn't reverse the effects of dementia.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more