Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update - haven't posted in awhile. Been overwhelmed.

SDianeL
SDianeL Member Posts: 884
500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

To recap: December 5th, I had to immediately place my DH in MCF because of my devastating diagnosis of a rare aggressive form of breast cancer that I needed immediate and aggressive treatment for.  I placed him in a facility and he got great care but it was very expensive. I applied for the VA Nursing Home facility and he was accepted. He moved February 6th. It has taken a long time for him to adjust to the new routine. They had to increase his Risperidone for his agitation and to help him sleep. The care is excellent except they don't have a phone he can use to make phone calls like the other facility did. I will talk to the Social Worker about that. I haven't been able to visit much because of my low immune system and being totally exhausted from chemo. His daughter who lives in another state visited for a week and saw him several times. He had one good day and several not so good days. My daughter goes when she can and she takes me when I feel up to going. I finished chemo 2/28 and will have surgery 4/25 so I won't see him for awhile after surgery. I'm going this weekend. He no longer recognizes family members and it's very difficult to carry on a conversation with him. He cries when I visit. He cried and said last time "we'll get through this" -- it broke my heart. He doesn't even know what "this" is.... Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You're definitely in my thoughts. You have a lot on your plate. I know it's hard, but definitely focus on yourself right now. Let his daughter pick up the slack while you go through surgery and recovery. I know it breaks your heart. Sending you strength.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad to hear from you Diane. Hang in there.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Diane, thanks for reaching out. I/we where hoping to hear an update. Please take care of yourself and update when you can. Hugs

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Diane, I’ve been wondering how things were going. Hoping the facility can arrange for a phone. You focus getting yourself through the next weeks. I hope your surgery goes well on 4/25 and you begin the road to recovery. Sending a big hug.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I will keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

Sending out positive energy to you and your family.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’ve been thinking of you—-sending you strength and comfort.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

How difficult for you! Praying!

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Diane, continuing prayers for you each day and for your DH. I've written your surgery date on my calendar and will hold you especially close that day.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@SDianeL

Thank you for taking a moment to check in. You've been in our thoughts here.

Sadly, given the progression of your husband's condition, your wish for a phone is likely moot at this point. If he doesn't recognize family or converse much, he probably wouldn't call. And if he could, repeated calls or calls at odd hours would disturb your recovery.

Perhaps they have an activities coordinator who could help him FaceTime when he's having a better day.

I wish you the best as you prepare for your next steps and surgery.

HB

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thanks you for this update. Obviously, this has been a bumpy ride for you and your whole family. I'm just hoping that you focus on recovering. It may well be critical. Praying for your recovery and for moments of comfort in the meanwhile.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

You are going through so much right now. My heart aches for you and for your dear husband. You will be in my prayers. Sending hugs.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So wonderful to hear from you. Prayers for your surgery, recovery and DH placement adjustment . ((Hugs))

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((@SDianeL))) Sending you hugs, continued strength, and peace of mind to focus on your own healing. Your DH is safe and has loving attention from your support system as well as your own love. Praying for your successful procedure and full recovery.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So good to hear from you, Diane. I have thought of you often, and wondered how you were doing. It sounds like your DH is in a safe place and being well cared for, and that your daughter and his daughter are being helpful. I hope you can take some deep breaths and focus on caring for yourself, too, at this very difficult time. We are all pulling for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more