Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Important (and classic) free book: Understanding the Dementia Experience

Comments

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I downloaded and printed out this 27(?) page document several years ago, and made an extra copy for reference for friends and family. I found it to be the single most valuable of all the Alz. readings I have come across. The section on “apathy” provides an informative and comforting description of a stage of Alzheimer’s that can be puzzling and hurtful to loved ones if not understood. My copy is tattered and stained; DH passed in April, 13 years after initial MCI diagnosis, but the document remains on a bookshelf for safekeeping. Sadly, I fear I may need to share it again as my friends and family members age along with me. Thank you for the posting.

• northernlady
    northernlady Member Posts: 85
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Just downloaded.

Thanks for the recommendation.

DH newly diagnosed 10/2023. Struggling with the how's. How do we feed them? How do we keep them clean? How do we keep them safe?

A diagnosis should come with an instruction manual.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Northernlady, the diagnosis comes from the doctors, but they do not have the instructions (they are often shockingly ignorant of the facts of life with dementia). The best instruction manual there is, is other caregivers. And the best helpful caregivers I've run into are right here.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I too downloaded this and have read it several times. I agree with Beachfan that it is valuable reading. I just went back and reviewed the part of going back into memory. We are there now, and this made me understand.

• dazdintx
    dazdintx Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Thanks for posting this link. I read the document, then bought the book. I kept saying OMG, no wonder!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more