Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A few positives

AnderK
AnderK Member Posts: 123
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Good evening all. Or should I say morning.

1. Last Thursday night I went to check on him, as he was taking even longer to come to bed...we were entering hour 3 of the going to bed routine. He said he needed a little help. I went in and there was blood all over the floor. He had tried to cut an ingrown toe nail, and cut his toe instead. Cleaned up the floor, cleaned and bandaged the wound, got him to bed. Sidebars. He is diabetic, and a few years back hurt his toe, refused to go to the doctor until red streaks were going up his leg. He was in the hospital for several days fighting infection, and also lost a toe in the process.

So, still bleeding the next morning. Got him to Urgent care. Wound was dressed.

Positive on that? They prescribed antibiotics which also are working to fight the possibility of a hidden UTI that we have been unable to test for because of his incontinence. Seems to be making a difference. I redressed the wound. Not bleeding.

2. While I have our names in at a facility that has independent living, Assisted living, and MC, it is not my first choice. They aregood, just not my choice. I talked this morning with the director of my first choice this morning. They are ALL memory care. Feels more homey, close friends Have had loved ones there. He assured me that we were on his list. They are at about 90 % occupancy. I am currently on his " don't call Kathy until they are down to one room, either studio orone bedroom. And assured me I can change that at anytime. My placement on his list is based on a conversation we had in January where I thought placement toward end of summer.

It is a relief, to say the least.

Haven't gotten the nurse assessment for in home help scheduled yet, but will call in the AM to check.

ZZZ tea is kicking in. Time to say goodnight to my river, and goodnight to you all.

Kathy

Comments

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Kathy, the day to day struggles are real. I hope that you get your placement you requested. We moved to Independent living when my DH was diagnosed and it has been wonderful. There are activities that are essential to having a change of pace day. The security is also a relief, and the support of the other residents is wonderful. Best of luck to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more