Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Weight loss in Stage 7, how serious is it?

Vitruvius
Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW is now well into Stage 7 and is on hospice. She sleeps 20+ hours a day, and is barely awake the rest of the time. She rarely opens her eyes. She does however still eat puréed food and thickened liquids fairly well, usually finishing most of what is offered her. She has been losing weight for about a year, but the weight loss is accelerating. 

• DW is 5’-7” a bit over two years ago she was 129lbs, a BMI of about 20.
  • About a year ago she was down to 122lbs, a loss of only 7lbs in a year.
  • Two months ago she was 113lbs, a loss of 9lbs in 10 months.
  • Yesterday she weighed in at 105lbs, a loss of 8lbs in two months.

Hospice has noted that her body is shutting down and she is not able to extract the nutrition from the food she eats as well. Hospice has declined to infer any more from this observation.

Does anyone here have any experience with their LO having this kind of weight loss? My DW, now only 72, seems to be one of those who will die as a direct result of dementia rather than from some comorbidity or just old age. I just want to be prepared and wonder whether she can still last for years, or is it likely less?

If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. 

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I suspect she will be fairly close to death now, vitruvius. It certainly won't be years. Weeks perhaps. Im sorry.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Vitruvius We saw that kind of accelerating rate of weight loss in the last months of dad's life.

I would guess he probably lost 30lbs in the 6 months leading up to his placement in a MCF and another 20lb, documented by staff there, in 2 months before he died there. I read somewhere that this kind of loss (>10% body weight) is indicative of a higher rate of mortality within 6 months.

Dad was still quite verbal, ambulatory and self-feeding a normal diet supplemented by calorie-dense treats daily and still the weight fell off him. His doctor explained the loss as the result of dysfunctional digestion.

HB

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Yes, my stories are the same as the others. Prepare yourself for a soon ending of her life. Now’s the time to let others be aware it’s time to start saying goodbye.

• Doggie Lover
    Doggie Lover Member Posts: 4
    Seventh Anniversary First Comment

Agree with the above comments. I'm so sorry you are going through this final stage, it is a tough road to travel.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I've just been through this, only a few weeks ago, and I agree with the others, it looks like you're getting close. I'm so sorry, it's not easy.

Peggy also lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time - from June-ish to late February, she had lost almost 70 pounds. She was teeny-tiny at the end.

When hospice evaluated her in January they said that if she continued at the rate she was going, she had only a few weeks, maybe a month left - and that proved to be true. Once Peggy's body started shutting down in late Feb., it wasn't long at all, she passed away on March 6.

My hospice team was much like yours - they didn't want to commit to a timeline, and I understand why. But they explained everything to me, and they said that it could be months, but there was something in her tone that very much made me think that the months timeline was "theoretical", if you know what I mean.

You can also look at her skin and see what's going on there, or have hospice really look at her. What do her fingernails look like (a bluish cast?), the underside of her thighs (is the skin red and splotchy?), how is her breathing? What does her blood pressure and heart rate look like? All of these things will give you signs about how close death is.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    edited March 27

P.S. Peggy slept a lot too, and near the end she could barely open her eyes when we were there - although I knew she knew we were there. If there's a silver lining to all of this, it's that Peggy essentially went to sleep and didn't wake up. It was peaceful. I wish the same for your DW.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m sorry. I have to agree with everyone elsE.

step-dad was only at stage 4, but had thyroid cancer nodules in his lungs and COPD. He lost 18 pounds between August and January and another 17 between January and February. February weigh in was when he went on hospice. He died Feb 28.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Vitruvius I’m sorry to hear about your wife. I just lost my husband 11 days ago. He was not taking any food about 12 days before , would keep his lips closed enough that I couldn’t get a spoon in. He had been losing weight for about a month before he passed. It’s definitely not easy. Prayers for you and your family.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Vitruvius, I'm sorry you are going through this. sending hugs.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Vitruvius,

I have no firsthand knowledge to impart regarding weight loss in stage 7. I can only offer my sympathy and empathy to you during this heartbreaking time. I, too, worried that DH would linger on for years, only to die from old age or the ravages of Alzheimer’s. Were it not for an undetected gastrointestinal bleed, I think he would still be with us, dying little by little each day. As it turned out, he ate a full dinner on Monday evening (not pureed, solid foods), aspirated on Tuesday morning, and passed on Friday evening. Although his passing was quick and somewhat unexpected, in hindsight, it was a blessing in disguise. Shamefully, perhaps, I would wish the same outcome for so many on this forum. Praying for you and DW.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Vitruvius - I'm not there yet @ stage 7 with DW, but I read others posts on the end stage with interest (as to what to expect) and deep sorrow. My heart goes out to you and thank you for sharing at this impossible time, it does helps others like me who are not yet there, to both learn as to whats to come and see the courage of others, like you, who are going through it. Godspeed.

• LJS45
    LJS45 Member Posts: 49
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

You are describing exactly what my mom went through before she passed earlier this month. She was so healthy other than the AD. I was actually shocked when I got the call from MC that she had passed. She had lost quite a bit of weight and was sleeping a lot more. Not always up for eating and would purse her lips tight. She did pass peacefully and did not suffer which I am thankful for. It's a long hard journey and I'm sorry you are going thru it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more