Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Aricept and Namenda debate

kasharb
kasharb Member Posts: 13
First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Hello friends,

I do not post often but surely keep up here as my lifeline in the journey. Your advice in the past as been so beneficial, I thought I would put my question out there and see what the ‘experts’ (literally) think..

So we are in late stage 6 I believe. In January it was specified DH’s dementia was likely Lewy Body. this was due to adverse effects to anti-psychotic drugs actually escalating his symptoms of hallucinations and delusions. He was hospitalized and watched and monitored for 10 days. Doctor did keep him on seroquel in a small dosage for the hallucinations and delusional behaviors, as well as adding Lexapro for depression and Xanax for anxiety. Trazodone for sleep and of course continued his statin for cholesterol, flomax, baby aspirin and continued to keep him on Aricept and namenda.

My question is does he still really need those two (Aricept and namenda)…Late stage 6. I have to wonder what good they are doing in that they were prescribed to SLOW the progresssion - really??? Maybe so two years ago but do we still need those? I did I ask the Geri physc at the end of his hospital stay if he needed to continue those - his reply was “if that was my partner I would keep them up.” Anyone have experience or know if they really help at this stage???

Also any other suggestions for anxiety. DH has started climbing the walls again with 1mg of Xanax every 8 hours. Can he be getting immune to this med? What is the next level of this type of drug?

In January, the first of the hospital stay they were NOT going to let me bring him home. Even started placement procedures but once the anti psychotic meds wore off he improved and by the end of the 10 days said I could bring him home with 24/7 care. BUT the Geri Physc reiterated it would be short lived..his exact words - “you may get 3 days, maybe 3 weeks maayyybeee 3 months but you will have to face this again and you will NOT be able to take care of him at home”. Well it has been 9 weeks now…and we have had good and bad times but this week has been terrrible…has our time run out??? Has me questioning should I even take him to doctor because I am afraid they will hospitalize him again and I believe I know the outcome of that. Maybe I just need confirmation.

I’m sorry I am just rambling but I am hurt, dejected, grabbing for anything positive and any answers. I appreciate any experience on what I think has become several questions/concerns. I’m sorry!

Thanks

Comments

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

My DH just began this journey a year ago. So, I cannot offer any help on the questions you asked. But I can offer caring concern for you and your DH. I understand your emotions. I have them too at this early stage of this cruel disease. Just remember, you know your DH much better than anyone else and it is your right to question medications that are prescribed. And I fully understand reluctance to take him to the doctor because it feels like you lose what little control you have to protect your loved one. Please accept a cyberhug from a fellow traveler on the journey no one wants to be on.

• kasharb
    kasharb Member Posts: 13
    First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Thank You - this journey can be so lonely sometimes. Blessings to you!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Xanax can cause agitation in some older adults. Read about parodoxical effects of benzodiazepines in older adults.

Iris

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry you are struggling. I agree with the above about xanax and would taper it down to see if he improves. I would also stop the aricept and namenda, but it's best to discontinue (or start) things one at a time so i would stop xanax, then aricept, then namenda.

Have you thought about asking for hospice? That might help you keep him at home if that is what you want.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

FWIW, my DH was on Aricept for some months and (though I don't know what type of dementia he has) I never noticed any effect whatever, either positive or negative. PCP said it was up to us and we've yet to see a geriatric doc (appointment tomorrow after 6 months wait). We stopped it and have seen no negative effect at any rate. YMMV.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited March 28

My grandmother was diagnosed very late in her dementia journey(stage 6d) and aricept was prescribed. I saw no obvious benefits from it(although how does one judge just how much it might have slowed her progression?).

Unscientifically, I don’t feel like it had any effect. She was 94 and had probably already been suffering the effects of dementia for more than 10 years before it was prescribed.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I cannot understand the use of aricept and namenda in the late stages of dementia. These drugs are supposed to delay progression of dementia. Seems by the late stages, it is too late to be helpful and yet you still get all the side effects & added cost. If aricept and namenda do work in the late stages, they are likely prolonging the suffering of our loved ones. Personally, when my DW hits stage 6, I will not be looking for therapies to prolong her life.

• rplourde50
    rplourde50 Member Posts: 39
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Neurontin prescribed off label can provide anxiety relief similar to Xanax. My doctor switched me to it for my anxiety as a caregiver and it's working pretty well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more