Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Venting (again)

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

DH has been in a mood all day!! Started when I asked him to wash the knife he left on the counter. Sure he said, came in and put it in the sink! Can you just please wash it? Off the wall yelling he’s always wrong. Trying to calm him down didn’t help. Decided to leave for a bit ( he’s ok alone so far). Came home and no memory of what happened! Cleaning his room ( BTW, worse than a 13 year old boy!) Asked him to bring 9 full bottles of water/propel downstairs as it would help me , again the I do everything wrong yelling. I get it but seriously how do you get a thick skin and just let it roll off? Washing sheets, mattress pad blankets now because he sits on bed after using the bathroom and doesn’t clean himself well. ( And yes I know this is better than what can come). This just is not right for anyone! God bless us! 🙏🏼

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

agree with above. He doesn’t understand what you’re asking. Probably the best thing is to quit asking. You have to give up your expectations that he can do anything. It’s hard I know.

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I like the quote, he's not giving you a hard time, he's having a hard time. Sorry you're dealing with this.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

It’s kind of weird. Once I learned all that was said above, things became much easier. I have no expectations. For the most part I do whatever needs to be done myself. It is a real bonus when he joins in to help or when he does take initiative to take care of something himself. I remind myself to keep expectations low and that because he can do something one day doesn’t necessarily mean he can do it the next.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

JC5 - Going to straight to the point, time to adjust your expectations. I'm sure many of us, were in your shoes. Early on, I tried to get DW to do stuff, explain stuff, I only ended up angry and her scared/confused. Your DH is not being obstinate, he's not being uncaring, he has dementia and its very important accept the fact that it's not his fault he can't do the things he once did. Acceptance of this disease is a process, doesn't happen overnight, but it does get better, over time. You are so correct is not right for anyone to go through what you are going through, it's absolutely devastating, you are not alone, yet here we all are, clinging to each other because we all "get it", get comfort and learning from each other. I hope you can get help with caring for him sooner, rather than later I couldn't go it alone, got help, hope you do too. Hang in there, you're doing great.

• Pdxnewbie
    Pdxnewbie Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary 5 Likes

My wife has no idea what drying the dishes means even though she wants to help. As others have said, I have to constantly adjust my expectations and reactions to avoid triggering an episode of mania. It is part of the learning process that all caregivers must go through.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I would keep all knives and sharps away from your PWD.

Iris

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I feel the same as you. Once I figured it out, my life became easier.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

I had to be the morbid one, but when I started reading your vent and you asked him to wash the knife, I was so afraid you were going to say he tried to hurt you with it.

Please heed @Iris L. ’s advice.

When my mother and I were deep in the 24/7 caretaking of my maternal grandmother(who at this point had delusions that my mother had stolen from her[extension cords, a sweater and my grandfather’s ancient Gateway desktop computer] and she wanted to throw boiling water at her), there was an incident where I picked up some meds(which helped dull her furious outbursts) for my grandmother and needed to get home ASAP(which was a two hour drive away). I first texted my mom that I had dropped the meds on the doorstep and she didn’t respond. I then tried calling and she didn’t respond. Eventually, I turned around and went back and was in tears by the time I got there, thinking that maybe my grandmother had stabbed my mother to death in an angry outburst. My mother was fine, but we disappeared all the knives, which were in multiple blocks in easy reach on the kitchen counter, after that.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I was thinking more about the PWD hurting himself. Years ago when I was in the early years of my illness, which is not AD, but is neurological, I took a cooking class. The instructor had us cutting up vegetables. I always managed to cut myself and bled all over the counter. This was in the days when HIV/AIDS was in the news and people were terrified of blood. I was so embarrassed that I couldn't handle a knife properly. After a while I just let the other students handle the knives. Now, my hands function better, but I am still very cautious with knives and other sharps. Nevertheless knives and all potential weapons should be removed if a PWD appears agitated.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney