Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Buying a home solo

DH is Stage 6 Banker said he must be vetted for mortgage and he will be required to sign for mortgage even if I am purchasing based on my income credit etc. I tried to explain he is incompetent and cannot be responsible for anything. Wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. I know it is state by state. This is Wisconsin .

Comments

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Is there a DPOA (durable power of attorney) in place, and can that person sign for him?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

banker doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Tell him deed will be in your name only. Too bad if you have to get attorney but you may. So frustrating!

• the bff
    the bff Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments 5 Likes

Wisconsin is now a community property state, from a brief review of an article I found - meaning any money/property acquired during marriage now is considered as belonging to both spouses. I live in CA, and we are a community property state as well, and a lot of litigation (e.g., divorce) involves whether a specific item is C/P or sole ownership.

I experienced this in VA, in the 1980s, when I sought to buy my own house while married. Bank insisted that hubby had to sign, I refused, argued, requested a manager and/or their legal department, and generally intimidated them into relenting. The "old fashioned" term is "femme sole" deed.

Highly recommend that you speak with a real estate attorney - maybe there is a way to do this, but I don't know.

https://www.derrlaw.com/wisconsin-marital-property-law-what-does-it-mean/

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

in California which is a community property state, you can buy a home separate from your spouse. They sign a quitclaim deed saying they won’t come after you in a divorce. You can always pay for a consultation with a real estate attorney.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more