Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Diagnosis

Carma L
Carma L Member Posts: 6
5 Likes First Comment

What are the first steps your Dr will take to diagnose ?

Comments

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Carma,

We're going through this process in our family.

1. Family member designated to assist set up the Dr appt. Doctor was informed of the concerns prior to appointment.
    2. At PCP appointment PWD was in interviews as well as family member for observation of changes. PCP ordered blood work and made referral to neurologist.
    3. Assisting family member set up neurologist appointment. Both were asked about changes at the appointment. PWD was given a cognitive test (MMSE). With scoring at mild to moderate dementia, referral made for EEG Brain wave test, and for MRI of the brain.
    4. Appointments were set up, and tests completed.
    5. - we are waiting on next steps.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Often, a PCP will order bloodwork to rule out vitamin and hormone deficiencies that can mimic dementia symptoms. They will also order imaging— usually a CT scan or MRI to rule out something like a stroke or tumor. And they'll generally do a quick 10-minute screening like MMSE or MoCA.

If the person underperforms on the screening and the bloodwork and imagining rule out other causes, most are referred to a neurologist or geriatrician.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited March 29

From my own experience, my LO’s PCP was very resistant to diagnosing her with dementia. He felt, because of her advanced age, putting her through the longer dementia screening would just be “too hard on her”. Because I had a springing POA, I needed the diagnosis to begin to help her. While not the majority, there have been other members who have also reported having a hard time with their LO’s PCP when it came to a diagnosis.

I hope yours has no reticence, but if they do, please come to the appointment with a list of noticed behaviors/symptoms. If your LO has dementia and may very well be suffering from anosognosia, you may want to pass that list of concerns to the nurse ahead of time who can then get it in front of the PCP before you are all face-to-face.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I took a spreadsheet to our PCP of examples of memory loss.

She ordered blood work and an MRI (his MRI showed moderate to severe brain atrophy in both temperol and parietal lobes).

She then referred us to a neurologist who did many test.

He then referred us to a Neuropsychologist who did 4 hours of testing.

Hope this helps.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney