Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early incontinence

jscott
jscott Member Posts: 16
5 Care Reactions First Comment

My DW was formally diagnosed last Oct. However, she tested poorly over three years ago just never had more testing. Her symptoms are mild and she is still very self sufficient. She also has anosognosia so there is no recognition that anything is wrong. Over the last few weeks she has had a little urinary incontinence right as she gets up from bed. It's only happened two or three times so far. My question is, how do I encourage her that wearing some "protective panties" at night might be a good idea? I told her that as we get more mature, these things happen and it's no big deal. But, she doesn't remember it happening earlier and says she doesn't need anything for it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

It's best not to try to reason with a PWD or to remind them of toileting accidents which would only embarrass them.

Your next steps will depend on the nature of the incontinence. If it's a dribble or small gush, an adhesive urinary pad in her regular panties may spare you laundry for a time. The use of pads may be more readily accepted as something familiar. If it's an actual stream, then you'll need to start with an incontinence undergarment.

Many people find it best to simply hide her regular undies and replace them in her drawer with a "pretty" version of Depends or a washable incontinence brief. Over time, you will be able to switch to the less expensive plain models.

This worked for dad which completely surprised me. For my aunt, her caregiver introduced them as newfangled paper panties— save on laundry—wear once and throw them away! Aunt had a septic system so saving loads appealed to her.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney