Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Husband recently diagnosed

2»

Comments

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Is it possible that he he is getting it airborne. Due to someone burning it ?

Or there's a bunch growing close to your vicinity? My so son can get it without touching it.

• beachbum
    beachbum Member Posts: 14

Welcome Hope,

I don’t post much but read daily. I am 53 and DH 57 with EOAD diagnosed via PET in March. We are in the process of him quitting work and getting in to having our trust tweaked. I have the DPOA for him but have to change him from being mine. I work full time and have 2 in college. You are not alone. It is an absolute roller coaster of emotions. I’m too young to quit work and be a caregiver because I will need retirement and benefits. It is devastating for my children but we are taking it one day at a time. Just know you are not alone.

• Mollykazoo
    Mollykazoo Member Posts: 35

Hello Hope,

Our stories are similar. My husband was 55 when he was diagnosed with early-onset AD in November (56 now). I'm 53. I've had some deep sobs while pouring my heart out to the people on this forum, which has been followed by so much really generous, direct, and kind support. I have found myself sometimes not able to look at the forum for long stretches because I'm busy processing the enormity of it all and I cannot face reading the heartbreaking and terrifying stories of others…

Because of this supportive community, we recently met with an elder law attorney and got all our money affairs and POA documents in order—big source of relief. And now onto the list of hundreds of other important tasks that fall to the caregiver! For me, therapy with TWO different therapists is helping so much with the intense anxiety I am facing—I highly recommend it, if you're not already giving yourself this support! I also think I'm recently ready to check out a support group. My husband is unlikely to attend a support group—not his thing. Also, just like your husband, he is not very aware of how progressed his memory loss is.

Sounds cliche and overly simple but it's really true that this experience has forced me to live more in the moment, with a lot of unexpected joy, and has brought SO MANY blessings into focus. Also, there's a lot of grief every single day. It's enormous what you are facing. I feel for you and I'm sorry that both of us have to be here.

sending you peace.

Molly

• makking
    makking Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Thanks, @ronda b , thanks….mystery solved, for now…per dermatologist, reaction to prolonged steroid use. I've been in contact with DH's neurologist and psychiatrist, and they are ok with prescribed steroid topical to alleviate rash. Onward…

• Gepsguys
    Gepsguys Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I am 57, DW is 61 and was diagnosed with EO 2 years ago, probably at stage 3 or 4 now. I work full time and have one daughter (24) still at home and 2 in college. She is still doing fairly well and can still drive Since there is typically no one at home during the day I'm not sure when or if she is eating. Anyone have solutions to this?

• beachbum
    beachbum Member Posts: 14

Because I have always taken call with my job, I would meal prep and have something ready to heat up in refrigerator for my family when I was not home. My children can now take care of themselves and my DH would still heat up what I had prepared, until about 6 months ago. I would come home ( late) and he would say he had not eaten, even though food was prepared. I started putting something in the slow cooker and texting him when it was ready. I felt a slow cooker was safe and the smell of food would remind him. My kids are home for the summer and they make sure he eats but I will go back to slow cooker meals when they move out. I also make sure I have milk and cereal. He is a picky plain eater so not a lot of variety.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum gepsguys. If she is stage 4, she should not be driving. This is always, always a difficult topic, but you will need to grasp the nettle and stop it before there is an accident. All it takes is one.

I think the only way you can tell for sure that she is eating is if you leave a meal prepared and it is gone (and not in the garbage) when you get home. In general, it sounds clear that she is going to need more supervision sooner rather than later, and that is a big adjustment for all of you.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@Gepsguys: DW is 61 and was diagnosed with EO 2 years ago, probably at stage 3 or 4 now.

Your wife may be more advanced than you realize. In my experience, younger-onset is rarely diagnosed as early as AD in an older population, and that's typically in stage 4 or 5.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more