Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rapid progression

Buggytoo
Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

is there any evidence that rapid progression of Alzheimer's indicates a likely speedy end to the life of the patient? Or can symptoms plateau at any given point along the trajectory. My DH has been declining at a phenomenal rate and I just have no idea what comes next.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I don't think anyone can tell you for sure, but yes, generally the speed of the trajectory will likely continue. Best evidence of this is that early onset patients progress more rapidly and die sooner than those with late onset disease. So the inference would be that if your loved one has had a rapid trajectory, that will likely continue.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

As M1 says, there is no definitive path PWD take. I have read here that patients with VD, often plateau for example.

My DW does not have Alzheimer’s but a sub variant of FTD. Nonetheless for reference I can tell you that her decline has been both rapid and relentless. My DW is now very near the end of her tragic journey. Just five years ago she seemed pretty normal. A few quirky behaviors were the only clue. Some days were a bit better than others, things like incontinence started sporadically but quickly became permanent. Even here near the end, some days she eats well, others she will refuse most food.

The important part is you need to have a flexible plan moving forward. Sort of “hope for the best, plan for the worst “.

• hope111
    hope111 Member Posts: 7
    5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment

my husband’s neurologist told me that the disease is usually pretty consistent with With what is originally happening. He says it seems my husband‘s progression is slow and therefore it probably will continue to be slow.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

it’s more of a roller coaster for my DH. Initially the decline was rapid. But once he plateaued, he stayed there for three years. Now it’s picking up again and I’m set more frequent issues. Each low bouncing back up to a lower high than previously.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I think it depends on the type of dementia. For example, vascular dementia typically progresses in a stair-step fashion. So there are plateaus and sudden declines. Unfortunately, the steps are all down…

• Pinkscarf
    Pinkscarf Member Posts: 13
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    edited April 5

My DH was diagnosed with early-onset dementia in 2019. What I have seen over and over again is a deep dive, a plateau, a deep dive, etc. There used to be longer stretches between them, and now it seems I lose more and more of him every day.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Which form of dementia was your DH diagnosed with? Mine started out rapid, early onset at age 60, with uncontrollable anger, aggression, and combativeness. Then last year he started to plateau with the addition of a medication. It took 2+ months to work and now he's getting better each month, almost back to normal with short-term and long-term memories functioning. It's like in reverse mode. I don't know what to think of it cuz with everything I've researched and from others, the disease is progressing cuz there's no cure. I just don't know how long this lucid, non-combative behavior will last. How long do good plateaus last in Lewy Body Dementia? I'm so confused now. I don't know what to think.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

He has Alzheimer’s. In the early stages after getting medication, he presented just like your husband. It was easy to forget he even had a diagnosis. He was one of the fortunate ones who responded very well to the Namenda. I can’t speak to how this impacts LBD. All I can recommend really is to enjoy the time he has being “normal”. Early on I had to be careful with myself. I studied up so much, and followed this forum regularly. But it made me look for every possible signal. And I felt like I was a yo-yo emotionally. I wasn’t able to relax and take in the moments while we had them. I kept looking for the worst. No one can tell us when the next step will occur. So try to step away from your edge and refocus on the now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more