Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm so sad

LouiseD
LouiseD Member Posts: 3
Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I've been my husband's primary care giver since he was diagnosed with ALZ. Now he is in late stage and because of many problems with aggression and agitation towards me and a parttime home health aide, he is in a hospital in a unit specifically designed for short term stays for dementia patients to help stabilize them before a move to memory care. I was so hoping to keep him at home for the duration of his illness, but the aggressive behavior was increasing, even with medication. The meds worked initially, but he kept getting worse. It's so hard to see someone you love go through this. I miss him so much and am so worried about him. I hate to see him this way. We are on day 5 and he is fighting everything. What if they can't get him stabilized? What will happen then?

Comments

• hope111
    hope111 Member Posts: 7
    5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I am so sorry you are going through this. I am hoping to take care of my husband for the long-term but this is one of my biggest fears is the aggression. I hope it all works out for you.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I also want to care for my husband until the end but your post is proof that it may not happen.

I am heartbroken for you and for all of us. We have to do what we think is best for all concerned.

Praying for you to find the strength to get through this change.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It is very heartbreaking to see them like that. They may be changing but we still love them. I hope they get him stablized and things ease up a bit for you.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’m so sorry. We do all we can. It’s just not always what will work.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry you and your husband are going through this. Hopefully, they will get his aggression under control.

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am in much the same boat. My DH has become aggressive, mean, and repetitive - as in, he goes over the same angry topics all day long. We are trying new drugs and I am hoping they will help him stabilize. I don't know what happens if they can't stabilize him, but I have to believe there is some combination of drugs that can keep a person calm. We are looking for the same thing.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

so sorry you are dealing with this. I haven’t been there yet but feel it is getting closer. He as agitated with me 2 weeks ago but okay right now.

I pray you find the right combination of meds soon.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So any ideas for words or activities that we can provide to avoid/reduce the anger/aggression?

• loretta1835
    loretta1835 Member Posts: 6
    Eighth Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I just signed up for a webinar tomorrow from TRUALTA Memory Lane TV about programs to help reduce stress and aggression in people with dementia. Some are plotless, just pleasant. I'll tell more after I see this. Maybe I'll watch it too as I could use reduced stress and negative or hopeless thinking.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more