Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does anyone do supplements?

hope111
hope111 Member Posts: 7
5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I know supplements are a far reach. If any of them were truly any good, they’d be using them but when you’re desperate, you want to find hope and anything.

Comments

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I have a friend whose husband had early onset and was a doctor. They tried everything. At the time, there was some doctor pushing his miracle cure, involving lots of bloodwork and supplements. Long story short, didn’t do anything but take their money.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@hope111

My dad did IV Thiamine on suspicion of an alcohol-related dementia (Wernicke-Korsakoff's) while in the hospital. Certain people who are heavy drinkers do not absorb the nutrient by mouth or through diet. Tests did confirm a slight deficiency, but they took time to come back from the lab.

HB

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DW diagnosed at age 52 in 2017 pursued the Bredesen protocol, somewhat new at the time and claiming some fantastic results - probably similar to what @SSHarkey referred to. That treatment has faced some harsh criticism more recently from multiple sources, and I would not put faith in it today for claims of halting/reversing alz. The supposed success stories may have been cherry picked, and those who got better maybe were not truly alz in the first place.

They are basically aiming to optimize a whole bunch of measurable things (i.e. by blood tests) using supplements. We gave it a good chance for close to 3 years without the expected result. Physical health awesome; cognitive health continued downward - but hard to draw conclusions because everyone is different. I have some belief that the combination of diet, supplements, very active lifestyle together contributed to slower decline in the early years. It was unsustainable. Meaningful decline eventually began and has accelerated rapidly in the last year. I don't regret trying. If finances were more of a factor, I might think differently but this was not a huge cost compared to memory care.

• Bill_2001
    Bill_2001 Member Posts: 114
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions

The only supplement I recommend is cranberry extract to prevent UTIs. In my experience, my dear wife has not had a UTI since I began giving her one cranberry extract capsule each morning since 2020. This is only anecdotal, but since it is inexpensive I have continued giving it to her. Her doctor agrees.

All the Best,

Bill_2001

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living