Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

husband with fTD 40 yrs old

Alizardcat35
Alizardcat35 Member Posts: 6
5 Care Reactions First Comment
Hi Im new to all this my husband has been diagnosed with FTD I need help dealing with the behaviors, just with everything. Im the main caretaker , but his parents do help me out when I need to go to work. help !!

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi again (I answered your post in the FTD group). Did the doctor who diagnosed him prescribed any medication? My husband was prescribed lexapro (which helps with anxiety) and risperidone (helps with the behaviors). We've had to adjust dosages a few times but it seems like the right mix for him - every PWD is different, so it may take some time and trial.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

40 is so young. None of us are happy to be in this place, but younger is so hard. I am sorry you and he are going through this. If you have any children at home, make sure you prioritize them—not only their safety, but also their needs for a childhood and a parent who can be present with them.

You'll still need to see an attorney and get powers of attorney. Other members will have good information about that.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am so sorry you’re both dealing with this terrible disease so early in your lives. Get all the legal stuff sorted, take care of yourself, and create a strong support network for you.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m I have words. God Bless you both.

• Alizardcat35
    Alizardcat35 Member Posts: 6
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

thanks every one we have to go to the Geriatricians doctor at the end of April hopeful they can help with meds what we can do in the future. I don't have any kids but some times I feel like I have one . I think the hardest part is that he thinks his fine nothing it wrong with him . even with help from his family I still not sure how I'm still handling this .

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more