Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Confused

This is my first post here on the website. My husband was always a rather self Centered person, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in November. And now every single thing is about him, he still pretty functioning, he can drive. His memory is shot. He gets confused. He spends a lot of time talking out loud to himself, which is new. He could be looking for his favorite ice cream scoop, and it could be right in front of him, but he does noes not c it.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi nancy and welcome to the forum. Loss of empathy is part and parcel of the disease, and if he was self centered to start with this is not surprising. It may make your role as caregiver all the harder.

If he has trouble processing visual cues (not recognizing objects right in front of him, he should likely not be driving. There are lots and lots of discussions about this that you may want to look through. It's a battle for many, but it's crucial. Read a lot of threads and you will learn a lot. You have come to a supportive place.

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Welcome Nancy,

So sorry you and your dear husband are now dealing with this. Your description, "he can drive. His memory is shot. He gets confused," concerned me as well. I hope you find a strategy that will keep both you and hubby safe, and protect your assets.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello Nancy. I’m so sorry you’re in this situation. We are all here in this together. As the others said, your big safety concern is the driving. Add to that all the legal work that needs to be updated. M1 is correct regarding his personality traits. You’re definitely going to need to create a support system to help you through this. We’re all here for you. Wishing you the best.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Agnosia--not recognizing things right in front of the PWD.

Iris

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Welcome to the site, Nancy. It is a wonderful place to come and get support and information from people who are living this terrible disease. I agree with the others, the driving is worrisome and one of the hardest things to overcome. I was fortunate that we moved into an independent living facility and didn't want to pay parking for 2 vehicles. I convinced my husband to give his vehicle to our twin grandsons who had just gotten their driving licenses.

Keep coming back to this site - it is always here for us.

• brs
    brs Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I'm sorry you're dealing with this Nancy. I too am married to a self centered person and sometimes the disease exacerbates this trait. When I'm feeling hurt or overwhelmed I ask myself, "is this the disease or is he just an a__hole?" this is reality. I'm learning not to be so judgmental of myself which acknowledges my feelings and results in more compassion for him and I. We're all human learning a new life 💞 remember to be kind to yourself.

• brs
    brs Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care