Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early behaviors, pre diagnosis behaviors

2»

Comments

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

in the UK you can apply for Carers Allowance to help with the financial burden of keeping a loved one at home. You can use it as you see fit, paying someone to cut the grass, a carer to come in etc. It’s not a lot of money but it helps.
    Also, many elderly still walk to get their shopping etc. My Dad was still walking to buy milk and bread one month before he passed from VD. Shop employees are used to seeing and helping the elderly/people with dementia (as long as no outbursts).
    Where I live in the USA, you have to drive to get shopping so to me, in general, you just don’t see so many elderly/people with dementia in everyday life.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 234
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

@hiya Good point about the invisibility of dementia in rural and suburban areas. We used to live in a big city but I would not let my DH out there now even to the corner to buy milk. He would most likely follow a routine but he could get confused or distracted and lost.

Medicaid pays for a few hours of personal care or for in-home foster care but the PWD must essentially be indigent to get these services. It varies from state to state. There may be buy in options for some wraparound services.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 234
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Re-reading this now & recalling how last month my youngest son returned from the hardware store with all the things on the list that his dad dictated, only to put them away in the shed to find two of each item on the shelf already.

It’s sad but you have to laugh. My youngest is still grappling with the new “reality.”

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more