Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Changes in behaviour

GailP
GailP Member Posts: 2
First Comment
Hi, I have just joined AlzConnected and would appreciate any help on how to handle various behaviour in my DH.
First is his reluctance to wear pyjamas at night, he wants to sleep in his day wear. It takes me half an hour to convince him that nice cool pyjamas are better to sleep in at night than jumpers and cords. The next morning is the reverse. I have to convince him that his cords are better than pyjamas to go out in. He now doesn't want to wear underpants, I had to dress with him this morning to show him how I wear underwear, then trousers shirt and jumper to coax him into dressing.
His other bug bear is taking his false teeth out at night so I can clean them. He wants to sleep in them and not clean them.
I had a song originally to the Okey Cokey tune - you take you top teeth out, give them a rinse put them in the mug then take the bottom teeth out, give them a rinse, put them in the mug, that's what it's all about Oi! :) But that doesn't work any more.
Any suggestions anyone?

Comments

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Hello and welcome Gail. My LO is moderate/severe stage. As far as pj's go, I've learned to let LO sleep in whatever he wants. As long as he is clean, he sleeps in his day wear and I change him in the morning. Can't help with the denture situation. Wish you luck and I'm sure others will be along to offer advice.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Get him some leisure wear or sweats that he can sleep in.

Iris

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My LO wore comfortable clothes around the clock. There came a time when changing clothes was just too tedious or scary for her. They were comfortable shirts and elastic waist lounge pants she wore day and night, acceptable for day wear and sleep wear. I changed her only when things were dirty and/or soiled and after bathing of course.

I have nothing for your false teeth issue… sorry.

Welcome to the forum, keep coming back!

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I second letting him sleep in whatever he wants. My DH is in assisted living, and they allow him to wear plaid fleece pajama/lounge pants with a long-sleeved t-shirt all the time. The pants have a drawstring waist and are oversized enough to accommodate his incontinence brief and catheter tubing. The ALF aides or his hospice aide change his clothes every morning.

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I also ignore it when my husband wants to sleep in his sweats.

• GailP
    GailP Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    > @Caro_Lynne said:
    > Hello and welcome Gail. My LO is moderate/severe stage. As far as pj's go, I've learned to let LO sleep in whatever he wants. As long as he is clean, he sleeps in his day wear and I change him in the morning. Can't help with the denture situation. Wish you luck and I'm sure others will be along to offer advice.

Thank you Ann, I only worry that I can't get him to change clothes in the morning. We go out an awful lot as it is the only thing that stops him being bored. He has already set off to take the dog for a walk in his pyjamas with me running after him with a coat once I got dressed . That was in the Winter when it was really cold. He doesn't understand temperature any more. :(
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

my partner (in memory care for two years now) showers and changes clothes once a week, that’s it. Wears the same outfit for a week at a time including underwear.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Gail, unfortunately the best way I have found to deal with behaviors is to pretty much agree to whatever he says. My LO is no longer violent or aggressive (I attribute that to finding a geriatric psychiatrist that monitors meds) and is mostly child like. We are locked down 24/7, meaning I have installed latches on every door with outside access so he cannot get out. I also have cameras in every room so I can watch him remotely from my room.

• Judy.T.
    Judy.T. Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Gail I laughed reading this, thinking is she in my house? LOL I have stopped insisting he wear pajamas to bed. I give him the choice, "Do you want to get into these comfy pajamas or sleep in your pants that will be hard to use the bathroom during the night?" then I let him decide. Leave it, come back to it later. I have to wait (sometimes leave the room and do something else) then ask again. If he still says NO, I let him sleep in street cloths. He now choices pajamas. I insist on the underwear. That is nonnegotiable. He has three pairs of pants he will wear. (He owns many more, but will only wear these 3) When he choices to go on the no underwear rant, I remind him if he choices that I WILL have to wash his pants so he can't wear them and if they are to soiled, I will through them out. So far I have won the underwear debate.

As for his dentures, I explain they should be cleaned and they will get gross during the night. Blame the dentist. I tell DH the dentist says I have to clean them! If that doesn't work leave it. try it later. I start with the dentures, then dressing him, circle back to the dentures. Some nights he leaves them in, I clean them in the morning.

Good luck

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney