Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

@AlzWife2023

Iris L.
Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

You posted that you were unsure about your DH 's diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease. What criteria was used to make the diagnosis? Exactly what are you unsure about? Did his MRI report "white matter hyperintensities"? If so, read about white matter brain disease, of which there are many diseases and conditions that result in this.

In my case, I had an Amyvid PET scan which did not show elevated levels of amyloid in my brain. That, along with fairly stable neurocognitive examinations done every few years, assured my neurologist that I did not have Alzheimer's Disease at that time, which was a few years ago. The PET scan was paid for by my participation in a clinical trial, otherwise the cost would have been about $6,000.

IMO, Alzheimer's Disease can be a working diagnosis after ruling out dementia mimics. Then the PWD should be observed and monitored over a few years to note changes. Evidence of progression can confirm Alzheimer's Disease. The course is so variable, and some patients may have a mixed dementia. But the treatment is basically the same for all dementias: good care and avoid medications that might make it worse.

Iris

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ttt

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Hi @Iris L. I will talk to the neurologist. I believe he was diagnosed through exclusion and via interviews with him & me and the mental test, only.

We were sort of offered the free PET scan to be part of a trial but his score was officially too low; I think the doc would have pushed it through, though. It was so overwhelming at the time, we said no anyway. I have to ask about the MRI. He’s had a few but I think they were looking for strokes. Found none. No one ever said anything about white matter or diagnosing with MRI.

Thank you for all the info.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney