Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Helicopter Caregiver

AnderK
AnderK Member Posts: 123
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi. Heard about Helicopter Parents? I have been a Helicopter Caregiver, and I am working to stop being one. It doesn't mean I don't care. It means that there are things I can't change, and if I try, it is bad for both of us.

No amount of cajoling will get him to do the exercises that will help him. No amount of cajoling will get him to use a walker. He will fall again. Guaranteed. I hope he is not injured. But arguing, suggesting, cajoling doesn't change the outcome, only the mood.

I am strong, but he is bigger than I am by 60# and half a foot or more. I can't catch him if he falls. If I try, I may get hurt. So I stay away from him. If he falls, I will help him up and hope no harm done.

I ask him to go to bed about 9. I turn off the lights in the kitchen, shut the shades, make certain the chairlift is in the right place. Get the CPAP ready, lay out clean sweats And depends. And crawl into bed. Check on him every half hour, and cat nap in between. I no longer stand there and wait for him. Long about midnight or one, he gets to bed. I listen to know he is safe. I tuck him in, and hold his hand. I sleep by his side.

Time is our enemy. I start suggesting he get ready to go somewhere 3 hours before we have to leave. I make certain clothes are set out for him. Sometimes we make it. Sometimes we don't. Again, i check on him every 20 to 30 minutes.

My family and friends know that I hope we can attend functions. They know we will probably be late. They know we might cancel last minute. They know not to take umbrage.

The list goes on.

Am I happy that it has come to this. No. Am I good at it? No.

But part of what I have learned is that my home is not a democracy any more. I do not have a partner, and it is when I think I do have one, well, that is when things go awry. I see glimpses of the man I have known and loved for 23 years on occasion, but i can't let that fool me. I will make certain he is cared for. That he is as safe as I can make him. I am almost always here. But my mind, my stomach and my heart can't be a Helicopter Caregiver anymore.

My 20 or 30 minutes is up. Time to check on him. It is 12.30 in the morning.

Thanks for reading. .

Kathy

Comments

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for this, Kathy. This is where I get hung up…my own expectations for semblance of normal behavior or partnership.

And now I’m entering a more argumentative and a paranoid stage with my DW. She’s fighting spending time with just about anyone but me. She’ll still accept her sisters and a couple of dear friends, but hoping she’ll have lunch with a close cousin has been very hard.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I think you have a good balance figured out. You are absolutely right about not pestering him to do things he can't or won't do. I think this will help many find a balanced perspective to his caregiving. Thank you for sharing this!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I think you hit the nail on the head, is that you eventually just have to give up on any expectations of "normal" behavior. Starts with chores and tasks and things you shared—but then it progresses to even the very basic activities of daily living. Bathing, dressing, toileting, brushing teeth or hair, even getting to the table for meals. Helicopter caregiver is a good phrase.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I get it! I wish I didn't. We are down to two things she is willing to do outside the house - go see the horses, and volunteer at ReStore (God bless them, I have no idea why she hasn't been "retired" from that activity…). I ask questions with the expectation that the answer will be no - "do you want to go grocery shopping with me?" " do you want to come for a walk with the dog?" M1 is right - I need to figure out how to let go of expectations of normal behavior without letting on that I"m doing it, because she has no idea how far away from normal she's become.

• Pinkscarf
    Pinkscarf Member Posts: 13
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Hello, I've been dealing with this for almost five years now. I make reasonable progress, then I stall. It's all about expectations, right? What we expect from them. What they expect from us (which is a confused mess). What our family expects. What our friends expect. What work expects. It is tough to juggle.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Pinkscarf, it is about expectations and it's hard to juggle. I feel it is also about whose expectations have priority, too. As a direct caregiver, yours and your LO's are at the top. LO's is a moving target. Family and friends? Not so much. They are not living it. I know what work expects is important both in the immediate circumstances and for your future security. If you know what you need from your work situation, ask for it. If you don't know the answer to the dilemma have a dialog with the most appropriate person to help you sort it out.

I had retired a little earlier than I wanted to be there for my DH. I quickly found that he didn't want to do anything. I wasn't able to do things I wanted to do. So, I decided to work part time. It has saved my sanity. I wish you the best.

• Mnewell
    Mnewell Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

As caregivers, we are here 24/7, trying to do the best for our LO, but what works at one time doesn't work the next time. This has all happened so fast that I am still in the learning to accept "who he is now, not who he used to be" mode. I still see an occasional glimpse of his old self, and it tricks me, but more and more, I realize it is fleeting and that he is going to be a different person every 15 minutes from who he was a year ago.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more