Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I cannot get DH out of bed lately.

it is noon and he refuses to get up. So frustrating as we have a case worker coming snd he has a doctor appt. I have tried to lure him with food etc He seems well otherwise - no fever etc . I appreciate any advice. Hebid stage 6

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hopefully the Dr is familiar with dementia and will underrstand when y ou cancel.

The case worker can talk to him while he is in bed.

These are what we do are best at then let them pass.

• Hope5757
    Hope5757 Member Posts: 150
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

It’s very hard. Your mind bounces from wondering if they won’t get out of bed because there’s something wrong? Or are they just being stubborn. Now, we have to cancel, explain and reschedule. Just so much to do on top of what is already needed.

I’m sorry. I hope tomorrow will be easier.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Let the case worker see him in bed when they come by to meet with him. It's probably better for them to see him in his home doing what he normally does during the day. The best thing I did was have a geriatric care manager go to the hospital to meet DH. He was very confused and not able to showtime at all which was better than version of himself the doctors see in a 10 minute visit. He returned to baseline somewhat after getting out of the hospital but it was validating to have someone tell me that they clearly see his impairment. Anyway, as I type this DH has laid down to take his 3rd nap today so I am thankful I don't have to get him anywhere right now.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

My DH, stage 6, goes through periods where he sleeps longer too. In general, he has been sleeping longer over the years. And even when he gets up there is the whole morning routine of getting him on the toilet and waiting for a bowl movement. After that is dressing and breakfast. I have started making all appointments for him after 1:30. We’ve also done more video visits, especially with the “10 minute doctors”.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thsnks everyone. I am praying he sleeps through the night🙏🏻

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia