Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He wants to show EVERYONE the new driveway

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

We recently had a new concrete driveway put in about a month ago (which posed its own issues while it was happening but that's in the past!). So now when DH sees anyone walk by, whether we know them or not, he tells them to come over and he shows them the new driveway and the new grass we had to plant, etc. He has trouble using the right words so sometimes I have to tell them what he means (if I'm out there with him). Then he proceeds to jump up and down to show how hard it is. He will bring over any of the neighbors he sees outside and has even knocked on the neighbor's door to have them come over to look (they weren't home). He hops up and down on the driveway to show how hard it is. I'm not always aware that he's doing this as he does come and go around the outside of the house to pick up leaves, etc. I know I should be grateful that the behavior isn't worse, and I'm not complaining. Just trying to figure out how to maintain his dignity and not have people think he's weird.

Comments

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Do not worry about what other people think.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Don’t be embarrassed. Let your neighbors know (discreetly) that he has dementia and it causes some unusual behaviors. Most people understand and will accept him. I used to be embarrassed by my DH’s behaviors, but I’ve learned that what he does reflects on him, not me. My attitudes and actions are mine to own.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more